What kinda people are we? - It's just a cell phone

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
We are just talking about a PHONE, right not a new car or a house. Even though I have a v1 iPhone I did not wait in line, I just waited until the store showed they were avaiable online and then went to the store and picked it up. I was already with AT&T (Cingular) so no biggie.

The art of the cell phone 2 year contract is a big time rip-off to start with, then we allow the companies to sell is another phone with which is just a tad bit better (well 3g yet to see if its better), make us sign a 2 year contact (What happen to the no contract or the 1 year contract?) and then we HAVE to pay $30 more to use the 3G service.

I will not be upgrading unless they allow the current customers who have stuck by their side and didn't just jump on the next best cell phone bandwagon to be grandfathered in.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
OMG I've just check andyou are correct it is a cell phone (mobile);)

loc_star

Jun 17, 2008
Florida
It is just a cell phone but...I am just guilty of liking new gadgets. Some people get excited over sneakers, others get excited over IKEA. I have had several blackberry's and the little pentech phone(the worlds smallest camera phone.) [By the way that was a great little phone.] It's just a thing. Some hobbies are just more expensive than others.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No, I like to put it this way; the iPhone is a computer - a handheld one - that just happens to be able to make phone calls.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No, I like to put it this way; the iPhone is a computer - a handheld one - that just happens to be able to make phone calls.

- John
Exactly. For years, I've been a huge PDA / smartphone enthusiast, and for years we've talked about various models and mobile gadgets being like mini computers. The iPhone for me is the first one that is really delivering this sort of experience and power ...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Hopefully Apple never becomes like Microsoft, whereas they take a PDA and put a cell phone on it. Instead of making it a phone first and PDA second correctly ya kno? . . .

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'd put the iPhone somewhere between a cellphone and a religion.... but much closer to the latter.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'd put the iPhone somewhere between a cellphone and a religion.... but much closer to the latter.
Thusly it is written in the Book of Steve (5:17): "It's not just a cell phone. It's a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device with rich HTML email and a desktop-class web browser."

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Sorry, but it's a lot more than just a cell phone. My Nokia 5190 was a cell phone. My iPhone does EVERYTHING for me.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think the OP means we should not get so worked up about it since it is just a small devise.

I agree it is just a devise. But we all (or most of us) love it and that is why we post here. That does not make us bad or shallow people. It does make most of us a little geeky, but oh well.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
We are just talking about a PHONE, right not a new car or a house. Even though I have a v1 iPhone I did not wait in line, I just waited until the store showed they were avaiable online and then went to the store and picked it up. I was already with AT&T (Cingular) so no biggie.

The art of the cell phone 2 year contract is a big time rip-off to start with, then we allow the companies to sell is another phone with which is just a tad bit better (well 3g yet to see if its better), make us sign a 2 year contact (What happen to the no contract or the 1 year contract?) and then we HAVE to pay $30 more to use the 3G service.

I will not be upgrading unless they allow the current customers who have stuck by their side and didn't just jump on the next best cell phone bandwagon to be grandfathered in.
I have to agrere with you. It took me awhile to realize that, but finally I did. I think it was when the v2 was announced and it didn't have all the things it should have had on the first one. We had to revert to jailbreaking and unlocking to achieve certain apps and games that Apple should have put on the v1. I appreciate all the work and effort that everyone put into making the v1 a joy to own, but I had to give it up. I am going to look around to find a decent phone to use until something amazing comes along again(which it will). Apple has a helluva marketing strategy. I just refuse to buy into it anymore.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
A lot of us are tech geeks (which I'm called by my wife). The newest and greatest technological advancements keeps us going, at least for me. My iPhone to me is an extension of my Macbook Pro. If I'm in need of thing thats on my laptop it's pretty much on my iPhone. Plus it's gorgeous.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
ColsTiger is right. It is more than a cellphone. How many cellphones do you know of that can deliver the full internet, and have an iPod built in, and has as much possibilities as this one due to JBing and now the Apple App Store?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
not only is the iPhone more than a phone, this place is more than an iPhone forum. To be honest, i don't really come here for the iPhone talk anymore.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

- John
I never heard of a computer without copy n paste.