What makes the iPhone vibrate?

May 8, 2008
What makes the iPhone vibrate? I've recently dropped mine and it stopped vibrating. I've searched many places and can't find the answer.

Thanks

~Shoe

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's a mechanical device in the phone. Yours is obviously damaged. If there is no visible damage to the unit, I'd take it back to Apple for a replacement.

May 8, 2008
It's a mechanical device in the phone. Yours is obviously damaged. If there is no visible damage to the unit, I'd take it back to Apple for a replacement.
Wow, thanks for the quick response. I found out where it is. A small motor right next to the headphone jack and switch.

I meant to say where is it?

Note: My iPhone is no longer covered by Apple. I can't help opening things up.

~Shoe

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, good luck with that one. I can almost guarantee you it's not user-serviceable, though. Unless you're REALLY good with that sort of thing. And you run a high risk of effing something else up, ya know.

Just my advice. Live without vibrate.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Mine as well. If you really need it, you'll have to get a new phone.

- John

May 8, 2008
Did you drop yours?
I dropped mine. It is user serviceable however. You have to take the phone apart and replace the headphone jack, and buttons. (It's on one ribbon, I guess you can say.) I've already ordered my replacement part.

~Shoe

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Neat... can you take pictures of the process? One man's journey is noble, but a shared journey is divine.

May 8, 2008
I absolutely will. It will be a couple of days. But, i'll send you a pm once I post them.

~Shoe