what no one seems to be saying

mori

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
everyone its talking bout what the iPhone 5 will have or when its coming out, but we all knew for a wile that it was either September or October, BUT here its a better Q that apply to both verizon and att current iPhone 4 owners.

Will they let u upgrade as the years before? remember the iPhone 4 if u got it on d-day was what june 21th? or something like this,, u re-signed a new 2 year contract. and in the past att allowed u to upgrade to the next iPhone with special circumstances of course, to the new iPhone , now it has been a year pluss and NONE that i have seen and i could be a lil blind btw has mention about this.

can anyone post something here or links or what eva its needed?
thank you

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
No one is going to know. It's the whim of the carrier. Even AFTER the announcement last year it was unclear what the pricing would be. A lot of people, myself included, weren't sure what they were going to be charged until they actually placed the order.

But with the iPhone 5 being supported on Verizon, AT&T, and maybe even Sprint, we can hope our carriers will be generous with the subsidies hoping to retain and/or attract customers.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
^^^ what this person said.

Each carrier weighs the pros and cons. My feeling is, why not? Take your money again, secure you to their network for another 2 years. Sounds like a good deal for the carrier and the iPhone user.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I bought my iPhone in June last year and it say's I'm eligible for a upgrade

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
Honestly, the iPhone is the only device that I would pay full price for. I use it every single day throughout the day for pretty much everything. Eligible or not, I will have one! :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Actually, I talk about and specualate on this all the time here. :)

We won't know for sure until the iPhone event, but I'll post my thoughts and past trends. I've bought an iPhone on release day for the past three years. Each release day was roughly 12 months from the prevoius year. Two of mine (3G and iPhone 4) were fully subsidized ($299 for highest GB model) and one (3GS) was parially subisized ($499). If you purchased your iPhone through AT&T last June, you should at least be eligible for partial subsidy, and hopefully, full subsidation again this year. Your eligibility will NOT reflect this at this time. AT&T has bumped up the eligibility dates around the time of the announcement in the past, so what it says now isn't necessarily what it will say after the event.

Either way, you can upgrade for FREE or close to free every year as long as your phone is in good shape, you're willing to do an eBay/craigslist sale, and you upgrade every release day. This is because subsidization prices are about the same as the actual value of a year-old iPhone. Sometimes (when the new phone is fully subsidized) you actually profit by upgrading.

Verizon customers may have to pay full price to upgrade this year (around $650) because they will only be 8 months into their contracts and we don't know if they will be as generous with upgrades as AT&T has been. Their used iPhones won't be quite as valuable, either. AT&T phones can be unlocked and used on any GSM carrier in the world. Verizon iPhones can only be used on Verizon.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I'm sure hoping AT&T will bump it. If it's October, then it will only be 3 months short of 18. I'm guessing they will give us full subsidies. If they don't, I might actually hold out until next June and switch to Verizon. I've had a lot of dropped calls lately.

rmfnla

Bronze

Either way, you can upgrade for FREE or close to free every year as long as your phone is in good shape, you're willing to do an eBay/craigslist sale, and you upgrade every release day. This is because subsidization prices are about the same as the actual value of a year-old iPhone. Sometimes (when the new phone is fully subsidized) you actually profit by upgrading.
I've gotten every iPhone and made money on each one of them on eBay as the next model came out.

Hell, I got almost $500 for my 1st generation... I LOVE eBay!

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011

We won't know for sure until the iPhone event, but I'll post my thoughts and past trends. I've bought an iPhone on release day for the past three years. Each release day was roughly 12 months from the prevoius year. Two of mine (3G and iPhone 4) were fully subsidized ($299 for highest GB model) and one (3GS) was parially subisized ($499). If you purchased your iPhone through AT&T last June, you should at least be eligible for partial subsidy, and hopefully, full subsidation again this year. Your eligibility will NOT reflect this at this time. AT&T has bumped up the eligibility dates around the time of the announcement in the past, so what it says now isn't necessarily what it will say after the event.

Verizon customers may have to pay full price to upgrade this year (around $650) because they will only be 8 months into their contracts and we don't know if they will be as generous with upgrades as AT&T has been. Their used iPhones won't be quite as valuable, either. AT&T phones can be unlocked and used on any GSM carrier in the world. Verizon iPhones can only be used on Verizon.
Forget about it. Verizon customers can't even get iOS 4.3.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Forget about it. Verizon customers can't even get iOS 4.3.
The most recent Verizon firmware, 4.2.10, is equivalent to to the 4.3.5 firmware for the AT&T iPhone.

Hillbilly

Bronze
Feb 9, 2011
The most recent Verizon firmware, 4.2.10, is equivalent to to the 4.3.5 firmware for the AT&T iPhone.
No home sharing, cloud downloads among other things missing. 4.2.10 is not the same as 4.3.3.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No home sharing, cloud downloads among other things missing. 4.2.10 is not the same as 4.3.3.
I would have thought that they had synchronized the features by now. Either way, 5.0 will be universal and I'm guessing that the features will be the same with the exception of carrier limitations, such as no simultaneous voice and 3G data.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The other big unspoken question is how long till the jailbreak on the iPhone 5. I see cracks on the iOS 5 betas have been quick but that's because the exploit is hardware related right?

I assume that hole will be closed so it's 3-6 months stock. Notifications might be fixed but there's still lots of reasons to jailbreak.

Would this impact your buy-in?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I used my upgrade for the white iPhone 4 32 gb in June. I wanted to maximize the amount of money I can get for the aging 3GS (since the rumors at the time were saying it'll be basically free by the time iPhone 5 rolls around). I wound up getting $300 for it.

Assuming the iPhone 5 blows me away, and I'm sure it will, just as long as the partially subsidized/unsubsidized price isn't like $800, I'll sell my current white iPhone 4 for the iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The other big unspoken question is how long till the jailbreak on the iPhone 5. I see cracks on the iOS 5 betas have been quick but that's because the exploit is hardware related right?

I assume that hole will be closed so it's 3-6 months stock. Notifications might be fixed but there's still lots of reasons to jailbreak.

Would this impact your buy-in?
I haven't ever heard anyone say that would stop them from upgrading. We did have to wait nearly six weeks for the iPhone 4 jailbreak, but I don't regret upgrading on release day last year and it won't stop me from doing the same thing this year.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I haven't ever heard anyone say that would stop them from upgrading. We did have to wait nearly six weeks for the iPhone 4 jailbreak, but I don't regret upgrading on release day last year and it won't stop me from doing the same thing this year.
That is the bad thing about a new iPhone. Those B@$#@&S put the new firmware on it! Hate that waiting period.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can go without the jailbreak for six weeks out of the year. The upgrade is worth it.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I can go without the jailbreak for six weeks out of the year. The upgrade is worth it.
We'll see. I have always been optimistic about new hardware. Always been a little happy and a little disappointed. Like a good settlement. No one is thrilled, but no one feels abused. But to await the features you really would like is the issue. Got to have the new Hardware though!

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I thought there was a longer period at one point. Not on the initial release but later. Let me qualify, an untethered jailbreak. Personally I'd never go with a tethered option so I don't even consider it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I thought there was a longer period at one point. Not on the initial release but later. Let me qualify, an untethered jailbreak. Personally I'd never go with a tethered option so I don't even consider it.
The longest we've ever had to go without an untethered jailbreak was six weeks. This was after the iPhone 4 was released. The first iPhone 4 jailbreak, jailbreakme.com, was untethered. 4.3.5 doesn't count. We still have an untethered jailbreak (4.3.3). There is nothing in 4.3.5 that makes it worth the bother. We just stay on 4.3.3 and apply the patch in Cydia. I don't count tethered jailbreaks as I wouldn't use one, either.