What should be considered when selecting iPad for school?

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
My youngest daughters school is going to phase in iPad 2 into their school for their txt books and such.

I am trying to decide what type of questions I need to research out and ask the school to make sure I get her the right one. She is entering the 6th grade and I would like for her to use it through the eighth grade or later (LOL). Now she is only 11. She does have an ipod touch for a couple of years and an iPhone. so she is familiar with this OS.

the only things I think of asking is how much video content vs. print will be used. (storage size)
and if the school has an agreement with mac for a flash app for free for the students.

Do has anyone have any of their children who's school has done this?
what is your experience?
Anything you would do different?

Anything else someone can think of...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Pettythief

Bronze
Jan 24, 2011
What insurance company is covering those iPads?

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
Each parent is to buy their own for each child.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I assume/hope the school has WIFI otherwise you will need to get the 3G model. The only other thing to consider is storage. All iPads are the same except for these two factors.

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
Yes they are installing wifi this summer

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks for your input

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Does the school provide a list of which text book apps are required / what size they are? And how many need to be used / on the device concurrently? That would help determine storage space needs. If my daughter's school was doing it, I'd also love to see a list of recommended apps, apart from required text books.

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
There are a couple of parent mtgs this summer to ask these questions. The headmaster is saying that it is not required this year but next year it will be. In a phone conversation with him he told me that he hopes to have a netter idea of how many instructors are using this technology next year.

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
It will be interesting for sure I like it because the costof the books will be greatly reduced and she wont have to carry a hundres of pounds of books on her back.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
At the parents meeting ask what size storage they recommend buying. If they are introducing them into the school they should have the answer to that question. I have never regretted having to much storage but on the other hand not having enough could prove to be expensive.

KevTN

Bronze
Jan 16, 2011
Well fate, good family,, or all the above. Well my daughters grandfather bought a 64gb ipad2, had not opened it yet and was unsure if he wanted it. (he primarly wanted an ereader). Well we ran into him yesterday, and my daughter started telling him how school is switching to an ipad and we were looking at them. Well one thing led to another and he said if we would buy him the large screen nook he would trade us. We did throw in a nice cover...

So it all worked out...LOL

fyi I didn't know the nook has free lifetime 3g with it.

Thanks for all your input.
Kevin