What should i buy with the iPhone?

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so i'm planning on getting the phone soon and would like some suggestions on any accessories/peripherals i will need/want right away. what did you buy on day one and what will i want to buy? thanks

sele

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
The first thing you have to get is a case or holster or clip to carry it in. But don't spend too much time worrying about this choice, because those of us who have been through this know you will buy one and then see another you like a couple of days later, pretty soon you wind up with 3 or 4. You may want to pick up an adapter for the earphone jack. A standard headset will not fit in the hole for the earphones. Maybe a screen protector if you worry about scratching the glass. But in my experience the glass screen is really tough. It will break but won't scratch that easily.

The best news is that the phone will come with a good charge on the battery so you won't have to wait 24 hours to play with your new toy once activated.

Have fun and enjoy.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Buy a second real phone

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
to go along with the fake one? thanks for the useless comment
I think what they meant was there are some places you might not want to take your iPhone so get a cheap gophone or something so you can switch your sim card if you want to

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Get the crystal film set so that you don't have to obsess about the screen. I also picked up the Mac Xtreme car charger. It is nice since the cord has a USB connector on one end so that it can be used as a sync cable. I tried the Griffin charger as well, but didn't like it since it made my phone very hot.

I'd wait on the case for a couple of weeks. Carry the phone in an empty pocket for a while so that you can get an idea how you'll be using it. This will help you when deciding on the type of case you want without buying multiples.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Get the crystal film set so that you don't have to obsess about the screen. I also picked up the Mac Xtreme car charger. It is nice since the cord has a USB connector on one end so that it can be used as a sync cable. I tried the Griffin charger as well, but didn't like it since it made my phone very hot.

I'd wait on the case for a couple of weeks. Carry the phone in an empty pocket for a while so that you can get an idea how you'll be using it. This will help you when deciding on the type of case you want without buying multiples.
thank you, the griffin charger was actually he one i was thinkin about getting, so i'm glad you said that. have you heard of others having that problem?

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
thank you, the griffin charger was actually he one i was thinkin about getting, so i'm glad you said that. have you heard of others having that problem?

I only researched the two brands of chargers. I haven't heard of this problem with the XtremeMac and I haven't had any problems with mine. One complaint with the XM is that it pops out of the lighter too easily. I haven't experienced that problem. Another complaint is that connection to the iPhone port is too tight but I think that is mainly due to people not pushing in the release buttons on the cable.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Which Griffin car charger made your phone hot?

Was it one designed for the ipod, or was it the "new" one that has the "works with iPhone" label? There are so few that are actually sold by AtandT and Apple (Griffin is one of them) that I thought the Griffin was the best. So I am wondering if yours is an older griffin model or one without the iPhone label.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
A case would be a must for me right away because it protects the metal edging on the front. It seems like this has been scratched up by many people very easily.

I agree with the poster that you'll probably try several cases before you find the best one for you.

I just ordered the marware CEO sleeve ($25) with the spring clip ($5) and also the car holder ($6) to have some place to hang it in the car (cheap holder until I break down and buy a nice pro-clip ($30+$25) for the car) or I may try the original Apple dock solution for car shown here (except with velcro, not permanently mounted to dash):

description here

http://www.blog.idecisive.com/