What should I wear to my uncle's funeral?

H

Hayesimus

He died saturday night from Cancer. so. I don't own a suit or anything. So would khakis and a button up shirt be appropriate? Or would a polo be acceptable? Its been years since I went to a funeral and I can't for the life of me remember what I wore. Polo would be comfortable temperature wise because its hot out! But I don't want to be disrespectful or anything ya know?

H

Hayesimus

i am blackless!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
black isn't a necessity as movies will have you believe. Just be tame.

a couple years ago my then-GF's mom died, so i took out my most respectable suit... nothing too crazy. white shirt, grey/black tie, etc. I get to the service and there are family members there in jeans and t-shirts. Even the Husband was just wearing khakis and a jacket. What a family...

Anyway, i suggest you wear what you think would be appropriate in which to pay your respects.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Buy a suit...especially if you don't own one. It will come in handy, trust me.

Go to Kohls....or Macy's (if you have one near by).

H

Hayesimus

i'll do that for the next funeral. i'll be leaving for this one in about an hour. :S

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
As it was mentoned above, you don't NEED a suit.

I just think everyone should have one for those "just in case" moments in life (coming from a guy who HATES suits, but is forced to wear them). I had ZERO until I went interviewed for my current job...SInce then, I slowly went from 1 suit to a plethora....

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
Sorry to hear of your loss in the family, BTW.