What size screen would you like to see in a new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Jul 17, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For years, people clamored for a bigger display on the iPhone. Those hopes and dreams were met with the 4-inch iPhone 5. Competitors have continued to push the size of their displays and many customers are warming up to the idea of a bigger panel. Even Dave is considering a move to Android and some moderators call Android their second, first home. There's also a well regarded iPad site owner who has jumped to the Galaxy Note II. I too have dabbled on the dark size with a 4.7-inch Nexus 4, Galaxy Note II, Droid RAZR M, Samsung Focus (Windows Phone), among others. For me, I think the absolute sweet spot would be a 4.3-inch display or maybe even 4.5-inches. Anything larger can easily become a two-handed device, something I don't think for many is concern anymore. One handed use was a big deal, but times change and so do people.

When it comes to display size, what would you like to see from Apple? Is screen size something that would cause you to jump platforms? Dare I say, but is Samsung onto to something with their 5-inch and greater flagship devices?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

4.7" like on my One.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone that.:cool:

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 5. I'd give a bigger screen a shot, but I'd have to go handle a phone of similar size first. My main concern would be pocketability and one-handed use. I also don't feel like I really need a bigger screen since I have an iPad too.

#4 acosmichippo, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Is it possible that a move to a bigger screen alienates some would be upgraders? Good news for Apple is that there are no other options for people looking to move to a smaller screen. Their issue remains those looking to increase the display size.

7. Redbull2000

Redbull2000 Member
    Bronze

4.5 will be perfect. Not just longer but a bit wider.

Sent using iCafe app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Can't go too wide. The diagonal reach becomes real difficult on the wider displays. I do agree though, slightly wider at 4.5 would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

They can change the screen size. But Apple should incorporate innovative gestures to maintain one handed use. THAT would be the sweet spot for me.

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I think they definitely could. If they go above 4", i think they'd need to keep a smaller version around too. I mean, I have larger hands than most people, and even I am on the fence about using a bigger screen one-handed. I have to imagine people with smaller hands (most people) would be even more apprehensive. Maybe that's why they're introducing the "cheap" iPhone.

11. Muckcityjustin

Gold

Not only would I like to see a 4.5" screen option I would also like it to be edge to edge. I would love to see a screen that had very little edge to it if any at all.

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I would like to see Apple offer a slightly larger screen. 4.5 would be about the biggest I would consider.

13. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

I think I am the sole remaining hold out who wishes for a smaller phone, back fitting nicely in my pocket and not made to be an alternative to my 60" flat screen TV.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're not alone in that boat. I'm guessing less than half of iPhone users would choose the big-screen option if Apple offers two size options. Also, some will realize what they lost when/if they get the big screen and exchange it for the regular size. There are plenty of people who still value single-handed usage and pocketability.

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Couldn't agree more. I like my one handed reach all areas of the screen.

16. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

+1 here. I not a huge fan of super thin either.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

what's wrong with thin?

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I would like to see that rumored 4.3-inch (109.22-cm) screen. App devs are making good money--at least the devs for any application that's actually worthwhile (Zynga's perennial Words With Friends, for example), so I would not pity these devs' having to re-adjust/re-update their apps for a new screen ratio using a bit of basic math.

Zynga taps us for money at every opportunity: they bombard us with ads on the "free" versions of their apps, and at least in one of their apps, when you pay the $3.99 fee to "remove ads," it only removes some ads--not all!

Will a 4.3-inch handset be too large for one-hand operation? Me, personally, I don't care. There is nothing so crucial or emergent that I need to hold in my second hand that I cannot dedicate both hands to my iPhone for those few times when both hands would be needed.

Apple, quite obviously, has the resources to create a larger screen size. And the iPhone case makers--the ones who make cases that are worth anything, anyways--I'm sure they have the resources to create a larger case. Otterbox isn't exactly a poor or struggling company.

19. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

4.5" Do we really need the home button? Can't we just enlarge the screen to have a touchscreen home button, or just use gestures for the home button function?

20. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

I could stretch to 4.3 or 4.5, not much more than that for me.