What stores support Apple Pay

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Paying for gas will be interesting. Every pump I've used has signs saying to turn phones off around the pump. Wonder how that will be addressed.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Scan, pay, put phone away. Pump. Don't see how that could be a problem.
Here's a few:

1. How many people can be trusted to bring their phone to the pump and then put it immediately away? You know that once they have it out they'll be scrolling facebook or something like they do everywhere else.

2. What if you want a fillup? You can't scan and complete the sale until you're done, and the fumes that are combustible are the strongest.

3. How about when you pull up and get out to do your scan while somebody is at the other side of the same unit pumping their gas... with their fumes hanging around your scanning phone?

These few are just off the top of my head. If the theory holds true that a phone emits waves/static during use that can ignite gas fumes, surely you can see how the above can be a problem. And as I said, I wonder what ApplePay will have to say about that. Personally, I am skeptical about this claim, but since it seems to be believed, ApplePay will need to either address the issue or denounce the theory.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
As far as the gas goes. In NY 95% of the gas station brand names charge anywhere from 10 cents to almost 1.00 extra a gallon for any type of plastic card used....credit or debit even though debit counts as cash.

Some used to give the cash price for debit cards only but that has vanished and finally the stations who give the same price cash or credit is like Hess and their gas costs more per gallon so you're still paying more

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I have two local chains that sell you their gas at a 6-10 cents per gallon discount if you use their gas card. They issue it linked to a bank account, like a debit card. I have one for each of the two biggest chains in the area. I'm hoping that as time goes on they become able to accept ApplePay so I can get those two cards out of my wallet... in fact, the goal is to get ALL the cards out of the wallet. I know that's where it's headed, and it can't come soon enough for me!

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Yeah I just left it there, didn't want to turn this thread into a myth chase. I don't talk on my cell while I'm pumping because I might cause chaos among people, But i do try my best to avoid talking on my cell while I'm driving thou, but that's another story.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Paying for gas will be interesting. Every pump I've used has signs saying to turn phones off around the pump. Wonder how that will be addressed.
Mythbusters busted that myth a while ago.

Here's the condensed version. Bottom line, no cellphones have ever ignited gas fumes.

Edit: Naps beat me to it.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
The point he was trying to make thou, is that some gas stations now have signs that tell you not to use your cell phone while pumping or something similar. There's 2 here where I live that do.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
What about the TV screens and speakers on the gas pumps? Or people playing their radios while the car door is open or windows down? Are we going to see signs about not wearing smart watches near gas pumps?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
If a sign told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?
I'm not going to drive 3 extra miles across town and pay more for gas just to look cool, plus there's only one that doesn't have the sign and gas sucks there. I'm always going to carry my debit card with me, I can't rely %100 of apple pay.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Don't know why I said "just to look cool" but my point is I respect the bussiness rules, just like you can't come in my store with no shirt and no shoes.