WHAT THE HECK! 3.0 wont have MMS for the 2g iPhone?

twista_8604

Bronze
Mar 6, 2008
washington
this sucks! i had my 16 gig i phone for a year now. now that 3.0 comes out i have to ugrade to a 3g.... i knew they'd force me to do it sooner or later.... o well. i have to figure how to unlock 3.0 on the 3g... gevey here i come.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
this sucks! i had my 16 gig i phone for a year now. now that 3.0 comes out i have to ugrade to a 3g.... i knew they'd force me to do it sooner or later.... o well. i have to figure how to unlock 3.0 on the 3g... gevey here i come.
Yes this is true. Apple claims it has to do with hardware differences between the 2g and 3g. The 2g will also not have stereo bluetooth (A2DP) for the same reason of a hardware difference. There should be an unlock available for 3.0 by summer. But you should be able to get your hands on the current 3g for a good price since there will probably be a newer one coming out at the same time as the 3.0 release. People will be selling their 3g's so they can buy the new one so there will be plenty of them available.

dutchtrumpet

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Who woulda thought?

Time will pass and a new device comes out with new features. This is unprecedented!

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I am trying to figure out exactly what "hardware" is missing from the 2G that it can't "support" MMS, meanwhile unofficial 3rd party apps have the MMS service working just fine. I am also wondering why this so called "hardware" was left out of a cutting edge phone where the crappiest, cheapest, no name, twice recycled phones have that hardware in place.

I don't even have a 2G iPhone, I have the 3G, but their excuse regarding the original one is pretty pathetic.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A 3G chip.

What 3rd party apps are you referring to, Swirrly MMS? Many people can't even get it to work. I've never tried it myself but I've heard that you usually have to call AT&T to have them adjust some settings and even then sometimes it doesn't work.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I am trying to figure out exactly what "hardware" is missing from the 2G that it can't "support" MMS, meanwhile unofficial 3rd party apps have the MMS service working just fine. I am also wondering why this so called "hardware" was left out of a cutting edge phone where the crappiest, cheapest, no name, twice recycled phones have that hardware in place.

I don't even have a 2G iPhone, I have the 3G, but their excuse regarding the original one is pretty pathetic.
I can see the bluetooth hardware being a problem but I do not see why it is impossible to add mms to the 2g. Well the answer is that they don't want to, a huge number of 2g contracts are going to be up this summer so Apple wants to make it so they feel the need to upgrade to the newest iPhone which is expected this summer. I have been using the mms and love it on the iPhone, so if I had a 2g I would probably upgrade.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This is getting really old...
People that bought a V1 a month before the 3G was released were kind of asking for this, don't you think? If they wanted to be up to date with the latest technology, they should have waited a month. Again, why should Apple have to continue to support phones that are 2 generations old by adding in all the features the new phones are capable of? If they did it that way, they wouldn't sell as many new phones, it's Business 101.

Why do you even care, you have a 3G?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I don't care I was just giving an explanation as to why they are not supporting it on the V1.
I absolutely agree, plus it's not like they are cutting off V1 phones so you have to buy a new one. I think they are being very reasonable with all the features they did add and to only leave out 2 of the 100+ features. And it isn't completely clear whether or not the V1 will not support receiving mms since V1 beta users have reported the mms on/off switch. It is very smart of Apple as a businesss to do this, that is why they are very successful.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think they are being very reasonable with all the features they did add and to only leave out 2 of the 100+ features.
I couldn't agree more.

twista_8604

Bronze
Mar 6, 2008
washington

That's exactly what I have been saying for the past year! I just think picture messaging has been a big selling point, so they know it will force people to upgrade. But could they give us a little better excuse. It's like Apple is calling us dumb thinking we would believe that.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Uh, there is a rant thread for this already. It was created back when this (lack of) feature was announced.

twista_8604

Bronze
Mar 6, 2008
washington
I have to agree with you there. I had it working for about a day and then it all went downhill.

I think not supporting MMS on the v1 iPhone is a real load of bull.
I have tmobile. And the new swirly is pretty good and very easy. But the pics are very small

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I have to agree with you there. I had it working for about a day and then it all went downhill.

I think not supporting MMS on the v1 iPhone is a real load of bull.
I bet a hack will come out where it will enable the usage of the 3.0 MMS feature on the original iPhone. That will certainly leave Apple stuttering for an explanation.