What the heck happened to my music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bams50, Jul 21, 2015.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I have an iPhone 6 Plus on AT&T. With every iPhone I've had, including this one, I have listened to my music whenever I wanted, and could shoes by album, artist, genre, etc.

Now, suddenly, the music app has gone crazy. I did a bunch of updates over the weekend, and I'm assuming one of them was music. Now, when I go there it looks completely different. But all it shows is my music; my playlists are gone! Sometimes there is long pauses between songs. And if I flip through to a song I want, sometimes it plays, sometimes it picks another one. Worst of all, it doesn't want to do anything without having cellular data turned on!

Forgive me if you all know it and/or this has been discussed before – but why do I suddenly need to use data to listen to the music that's in my phone? And, how can I restore my playlists that were in the phone?

I love my iPhone, but sometimes the thing makes me feel so damn stupid :/

2. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

*CHOOSE by album etc. freaking auto correct.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The music app was revamped in iOS 8.4. Here are directions for getting the playlist tab back. It sounds like you're doing the free three-month Apple Music trial. It also sounds like you enabled iCloud Music Library. It's a beta and some users have reported it causing problems with their music libraries and changing information, which can result in songs having the wrong data and album art. It allows you to access your music from the cloud on all of your devices (that don't have music stored on the device). However, you can still play what's synced to the phone offline. Since that's not working for you, I would disable iCloud Music Library on your phone, unsync all of your music through iTunes and then resync it all. After that, you can decide if you want to re-enable it and continue using the Apple Music trial and iCloud Music Library. You don't have to enable iCloud Music Library to use Apple Music, but it doesn't have full functionality without it.

4. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Dammit, I knew it, another difficult to solve problem :mad:
    I did what the link said, but still don't have my playlists back. And, you're saying I have somehow signed up for some pay service?? F*** me.
    Another phone problem I'll somehow have to find hours to figure out.
    I'm almost always a fan of technology and upgrades, but this one has me REALLY frustrated........

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's one reason I don't jump right in to the new stuff. Especially if it begins with "iCloud" and ends with "Library". I see too many confused, angry users screaming, "Help!". One suggestion I keep seeing is, "Download the playlist to offline." There should be an option to do that in the music app. IDK.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You are in a 3-month trial. You can easily opt-out of paying by toggling off automatic payments. Then you can use it for these three months without worrying about being charged when the trial is over. http://www.macworld.com/article/2942713/how-to-stop-apple-music-from-automatically-renewing-your-membership.html

Go through my steps again. After you're done you should see @connect disappear and Playlists show up. It's worked for me every time. You might have missed a step.

Directions:
    Are you doing the Apple Music trial and wish you could remove the @Connect tab at the bottom of the screen in the Music app and get your Playlist tab back?
    [​IMG]

You can!

Directions:
    Settings > General > Restrictions > On > Toggle off "Apple Music Connect."

@Connect will be removed and Playlists will take its spot. (y)
    [​IMG]
    You can't test Apple Music fully if you don't enable it. If you sync your music to the phone, you don't have to "download the playlists to offline." You just have to do that with new Apple Music that add to your library and don't want to stream.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I said, "IDK!". I was just reporting what I see a lot of on the forums of those who do have it.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Relax. I was just clarifying how it works.

9. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Agree completely. Apple has not been too great on the iCloud....Library stuff. Even for someone like me who considers themself an Apple Power User, it can get complicated quickly and it often doesn't work to what I would even consider a Beta state. I feel a lot of this stuff is released closer to on par with Alpha software.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I decided to go through with it and test out Apple Music, and it's not fully functional without iCloud Music Library, so I do have that on. I've spent a couple hours fixing various issues that it caused. The main problems come in when you disable iCloud Music Library and stop using Apple Music, which I've done twice throughout the testing stage. A lot of people in the trial haven't disabled it, so they don't realize how bad it can mess things up yet. It's pretty shocking how problematic it is. I agree that it feels more like an alpha than a beta. That said, Apple Music is a really cool service. It's awesome being able to instantly stream any song I can think of with a voice command.

11. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I turned off iCloud Music Library, am re-syncing all my music to my iPhone from my Mac, and then will re-enable the iCloud Music Library. All my music should stay put locally if I understand this correctly. Then if I have an incomplete album, I should be able to press "Show Full Album" and download/listen to additional songs.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's what I did as well to get my local library synced to my iPhone.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You still had quite a few missing songs, though, didn't you?

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not this time.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool. I guess the restore fixed it.

16. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I will mess with this some more in the days to come.

17. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I did the above, and now just have 'My Music', 'Playlists', and 'Radio' tabs. But when I tap 'Playlists', mine are still gone, it just has a 'create' button. My songs are there, but the playlists are gone. Is that just how it is now?

Also- I didn't find an 'Automatic Payments' tab to switch off. Where is that? And finally, having done the above, am I still using data to play my songs?

Thanks for your patience.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You might have done the steps in the wrong order.

If you want to continue using Apple Music:

1. Connect to iTunes and turn off iCloud Music Library on the phone and in iTunes. Leave them off for now.
    2. Unsync all of your music.
    3. Resync all of your music.
    4. Sync your playlists.
    5. Test to make sure the music plays in airplane mode and check to make sure all of your music is there.
    6. Toggle on iCloud Music Library on your phone and in iTunes. Give iTunes some time to upload your music that they don't sell.
    7. Check to make sure your playlists are on the phone and that your synced music plays on airplane mode. There should be a phone symbol to the right of the song if it is downloaded to your phone:
    image.jpg

Now you can access your entire library over the cloud on your other devices that don't have it synced to them (if you enable iCloud Music Library on them as well). It won't use any data to play music that is synced to your 6 Plus. It will stream new Apple Music that you add to playlists but don't download. You also have the option of adding them to playlists and downloading them for offline use. These Apple Music songs will disappear at the end of the trial because you don't own them. The rest of your music will still be there.

If you don't want to continue using Apple Music, stop after step 5.

I posted a link that explains how to stop the automatic payments from starting in three months. Here is the link again:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2942713/how-to-stop-apple-music-from-automatically-renewing-your-membership.html

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Apple Music... It just works :rolleyes:

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator