What the Heck?

Jun 28, 2008
So i go into ATT today to do my early credit check for the iPhone. The guy att he counter gets halfway through asking me questions. Then he goes huh. He asks me if i have any friends that have an iPhone that live where i do. I say yes, and he goes huh again. Then tells me he will be unable to sell me the iPhone because where i live they only have roaming and if im there for over 50% of the time the phone will lockout because of the time i would be in roaming.

I call my friend after i leave and ask him if hes always in roaming, and he says he only roams once in a great while.

The kicker....i only live 10 min outside a city of 60,000-70,000 people...

im so confused by this...the guy telling me they cant sell me the phone...and then my buddy tellin me he never has problems....

so do i go on d-day and try to buy the phone and let them know my friend never has any problems? or do i say screw it and not buy it?

sorry this was so long...im a little frustrated

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
What? That doesn't sound right. Where do you live? You don't have to give us your town name, but what city are you close to? Or what region are you in?

Does this mean that rural folks can't buy an iPhone? It still doesn't sound right?

Maybe country-folk have bad credit? ;) LOL! (just kidding)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That is exceptionally bizarre. I suppose they're saying that your data would cost them more than the $30 a month they would be charging since you're "roaming" but at the same time I don't see why they would disallow you from buying the phone. Is it possible your credit isn't as great as you hoped and maybe he's just trying to make an excuse? (That seems rather far fetched)

Jun 28, 2008
i live in wisconsin. I am only 10 min away from Appleton,WI...which i just checked is 70,031ish people.

also my credit isn't bad. I have had a debit card and a credit for awhile. Never over charged the credit card and have never missed a payment.

so should i still go on the 11th and try my luck?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i say go for it on iday, what do you have to lose

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
i say go in and try again with a diff person see if he says the same thing. its better to know now insted of going and waiting hours in line just to be rejected on friday

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
i live in wisconsin. I am only 10 min away from Appleton,WI...which i just checked is 70,031ish people.

also my credit isn't bad. I have had a debit card and a credit for awhile. Never over charged the credit card and have never missed a payment.

so should i still go on the 11th and try my luck?
screw att and go to the Apple store on 11th... att customer representativea sucks...
I am sure that guy wasn't even had a clue about what he talked about.
Good luck

Jun 28, 2008
screw att and go to the Apple store on 11th... att customer representativea sucks...
I am sure that guy wasn't even had a clue about what he talked about.
Good luck

unfortunately the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away in our state capital. lol im definitely not going to be making that long of a trip for the iPhone.

Also with my luck (since the att store isn't that big) i would get the same guy again.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
unfortunately the nearest Apple store is 3 hours away in our state capital. lol im definitely not going to be making that long of a trip for the iPhone.

Also with my luck (since the att store isn't that big) i would get the same guy again.
lol could be a fun road trip tho

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
A friend of mine had AT&T and lives in a small town outside of Lubbock . AT&T terminated his service because more than 50% of their calls were made off f towers other than AT&T

He had just bought 3 new razrs the month before too its something they have the right to do but it damn sure isn't fair

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
So i go into ATT today to do my early credit check for the iPhone. The guy att he counter gets halfway through asking me questions. Then he goes huh. He asks me if i have any friends that have an iPhone that live where i do. I say yes, and he goes huh again. Then tells me he will be unable to sell me the iPhone because where i live they only have roaming and if im there for over 50% of the time the phone will lockout because of the time i would be in roaming.

I call my friend after i leave and ask him if hes always in roaming, and he says he only roams once in a great while.

The kicker....i only live 10 min outside a city of 60,000-70,000 people...

im so confused by this...the guy telling me they cant sell me the phone...and then my buddy tellin me he never has problems....

so do i go on d-day and try to buy the phone and let them know my friend never has any problems? or do i say screw it and not buy it?

sorry this was so long...im a little frustrated
so im gonna assume you don't have 3G coverage in your area correct?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
lol i guess not...its pretty shitty....been looking forward to this for quite some time...
so did your house appear on google maps on the first iPhone? because if gps doesn't even work in your area i say you wait or find another option

Jun 28, 2008
so did your house appear on google maps on the first iPhone? because if gps doesn't even work in your area i say you wait or find another option
im not really sure...i never had the first iPhone. my address appears on googlemaps.com. but i wouldn't know if it does on the iPhone.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
then it should on the iPhone, but sense it uses the same google maps pretty much, and if you don't get that great of a signal in your area the app store wont be much use either, despite all that tho if you really want the 3G just get it, it'll be fun regardless

Jun 28, 2008
yeah i know....but if thats the case and i wont get 3G where i am at. It would dumb to pay for the 3G plan and never will use it

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
yeah i know....but if thats the case and i wont get 3G where i am at. It would dumb to pay for the 3G plan and never will use it
i know this idea pisses some people off but im gonna suggest it anyway, why don't you get the V1 if you don't wanna pay for 3g

Jun 28, 2008
are they still expensive as all hell? or will they be goin down now?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
are they still expensive as all hell? or will they be goin down now?
im assuming they will go down now, i sold mine for $200 so after launch they should be cheep because all the people that upgraded will be looking to get some extra cash for there V1's