what the hell is this?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

adii

Sep 11, 2007
Photo 126.jpg

Photo 127.jpg

Photo 128.jpg

Can anyone tell me what is this? I got this phone as an iPhone, but I noticed difference from the start, first, there are few buttons on the bottom, and it has a software just like any regular phone. I was wondering if there is some other version, some old version, or somebody made a copy already.:cool:

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I was curious to see the meziu one or whatever it was, it was to be an iPhone knockoff but running windows/windows mobile. I never really did see the full specs on it, it was just a neat idea. How is that "iPhone" working out for you?

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I was curious to see the meziu one or whatever it was, it was to be an iPhone knockoff but running windows/windows mobile. I never really did see the full specs on it, it was just a neat idea.
People post about the coming Meizu every now and again. Many get confused between it and the much cheaper CECT versions shown at the top of this thread.

The CECT phones seem to have their own limited OS, bizarrely mixed with Apple logos and Windows sounds. Similar to a lot of other Chinese electronic devices.

The Meizu is a Windows CE device. CE based PDA's have been around for years. If you ever had a Jornada 720, it's pretty much the same thing, except with phone support. (I loved surfing wirelessly with my 720 years ago, because of its 640 pixel wide screen.)

Windows Mobile is based off CE. CE is better in some ways. For instance, CE comes with full Internet Explorer 6.0. We've been using it for years at work. Throw in the 800x480 screen and forget all that tapping/zooming/scrolling junk.

Too bad the Meizu doesn't seem to have 3G radios usable in the USA. A similar (but much larger) CE device just released is the Nani:

http://www.pmptoday.com/2007/08/05/sophia-nani-launched-officially-windows-ce-60/

Perhaps a future iPhone will also get TV, higher-res screen, dual cameras, etc.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I am coming over from using an 8525 and a Treo 750, so I am familiar with Windows Mobile, and way back in the day I had a few of the original CE based devices, nothing that actually had a full web browsers. I was not aware that the one you mentioned had full IE6. I was actually considering getting something like the HTC Shift before I got my iPhone due to the fact that it actually runs Vista Business, and then you can switch over to WinMobile 6 Pro. I liked the idea of having full web capabilites, and then making a quick switch and going to WinMo and having insane battery life.

The iPhone I think might have actually cured me of my phone buying illness. It does everything I want, and it does it well, and they fact that Apple actually seems to want to update the thing is what would keep me here.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I don't get to talk about tech much

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Just to be clear, the old Jornada-like "HPC 2000" devices (CE 3.0) had IE 4.0 (still a huge improvement over even today's pocket Windows Mobile browser).

CE 4.0 gained IE 5.

CE 5.0 got IE 6.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I am coming over from using an 8525 and a Treo 750, so I am familiar with Windows Mobile, and way back in the day I had a few of the original CE based devices, nothing that actually had a full web browsers. I was not aware that the one you mentioned had full IE6. I was actually considering getting something like the HTC Shift before I got my iPhone due to the fact that it actually runs Vista Business, and then you can switch over to WinMobile 6 Pro. I liked the idea of having full web capabilites, and then making a quick switch and going to WinMo and having insane battery life.

The iPhone I think might have actually cured me of my phone buying illness. It does everything I want, and it does it well, and they fact that Apple actually seems to want to update the thing is what would keep me here.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I don't get to talk about tech much
I feel the same way. I came from the 8525/8125/T700/T650/T600 and for the first time since my first Treo 600 I'm not constantly scanning the web looking for my next phone. That said, I would seriously consider an iPhone with more memory IF the implement a file management system...

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I found a youtube video of someone unboxing this beast. Wow, watching this monster in action I must say that its a little sad. It tries very hard to be the iPhone and ends up looking like some sad PDA phone from 4 years ago. Though I admit that the iPod app was kind of funny, as it showed a fake ipod on the screen, and on that fake ipod's screen is where you saw all the track info. Sad, sad,sad