What the...? I'm on the Edge

sbynyc

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I picked up my 3G last night, it was activated at the store, took it home, registered it via iTunes, and all I get is Edge (and wi-fi). I'm in a 3G area. What gives?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I picked up my 3G last night, it was activated at the store, took it home, registered it via iTunes, and all I get is Edge (and wi-fi). I'm in a 3G area. What gives?
Where you are in relation to the 3G transmission tower may be too far to sustain 3G access. If it can't hold on to 3G, it automatically drops down to EDGE. This is normal, and happens to me at my work location all of the time. My work location is in a 3G area, and my iPhone has the 3G indicator along with 1.5 bars. When the signal gets too weak, it reverts back to EDGE ( 4 bars).

Jul 14, 2008
I find that inside of many buildings, my iPhone loses the 3G signal and reverts to edge. This is normal at least with AT&T if the signal is weak. I only get 3G when I am on the top floor of my home and outside of course.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Confirm 3g is turned on.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
my Enable 3g is on. i held 3g perfectly all weekend and so far until today. Now i loose 3g after 5 minutes and have to restart 3g to pick it up. ridiculous