What to do if i want the 16GB?

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I bought the 8GB just because i told myself id never pay over $200 for a phone. Well, uh yeah....

anyways, i was sure 8GB was enough. But that was before i jailbroke the phone and started to add apps to it. I am going down to Apple tomorrow after class and see what they say. I just bought it on saturday. dammit... i wish i could go back and when they asked me "8GB black, 16GB black or 16GB white"....gripes...

any suggestions? i don't think i can just sell it and then buy another one?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I talked to the guys at Apple about this.
They had only had white iPhones when I was there, and I asked that, when available, if I could switch them. They said the idea of getting a new phone was difficult.
Apparently every number is linked with some number on the back of the iPhone making it hard for employees. You can try it out though there probably is some way to get this done.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
i think when you register it through i tunes, that becomes true. I think teh number is linked through the Sim they provide. Because what if a phone is defective? it wont have the same serial or whatnot of another phone...unless it is the model number....

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
You could return it and take the restock hit, if any. I know Apple has one, I think AT&T will actually give you a full refund.

Or you could sell it on eBay or wherever and use the profits to pay for your first month's bill and early termination fee.

You won't get to keep your number in either case.

8GB of apps? I can see 8GB of music and movies and pictures, but not apps.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes, there was a thread about some guy with tons of apps. His problem wasn't memory, it was number of pages he could have.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
You could return it and take the restock hit, if any. I know Apple has one, I think AT&T will actually give you a full refund.

Or you could sell it on eBay or wherever and use the profits to pay for your first month's bill and early termination fee.

Actually AT&T follows Apple's 14 day return and restocking fee policies. And, yes, if they allow you to get a new phone you do actually get to keep your same number. It's the same thing when you've got a defective phone and they replace it. You keep your old number.

dangerouslaser

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
North East
I swapped up from the 8gb to the 16gb and didn't pay a restocking fee. As long as you have the receipt and all the original contents of the box and its within the 14 days you *shouldn't* have a problem.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Correct, the restocking fee kicks in after the 14th day of purchase.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
I swapped up from the 8gb to the 16gb and didn't pay a restocking fee. As long as you have the receipt and all the original contents of the box and its within the 14 days you *shouldn't* have a problem.

My boss did the exact same thing. She wanted a 16g, but AT&T only had an 8g. AT&T "sold" her the 8g, then promised to call when they got 16g's in stock, so she could return and purchase the 16g. They did just that, and she was able to use an 8g for about a week and a half, and then switched to a white 16.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
It's a 14 day satisfaction guarantee. You can return it for any reason during that period. After that, you're charged a restocking fee. One of my buddies bought an 8gb first gen phone a while back and, get this, 15 days after the purchase Apple released the 16gb first gen. He desperately wanted more storage and had to cough up the restocking fee and the price difference between what he paid for his 8gb and the new 16gb phone. All for naught as he's now sporting a new 3G.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication

Or a more subtle way would be to start another separate contract for the 16g, then pay the ETF and first months bill from the sale of the 8g. :cool:

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Or a more subtle way would be to start another separate contract for the 16g, then pay the ETF and first months bill from the sale of the 8g. :cool:
Why would he want to go through all that trouble when all he has to do is return and pay the difference in price between the two since he just bought the 8gb?

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
hey guys, thanks for all the info and advice. I will stop by Apple tomorrow and see what they say. There is a small problem, however. My buddy was checking out my phone and dropped it. There is a small nick on the back. nothing too serious. It was within 20 minutes of me getting my phone, literally. And when you return phones, don't they "reburish them"?

Also, this has been happening since i got the phone (so i know it has nothing to do with me jailbreaking it) it says Sim not inserted at random times. It happened 3 times today. I have to shut it down and turn it back on...weird...