What to do if you aren't eligible for an upgrade through Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by CASEACE79, Sep 14, 2012.

1. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Well I am an early adopter for every iPhone and before the 4S I was with AT&T. If you remember correctly you were able to upgrade at the 1yr. mark from iPhone to new iPhone before the 4S so I switched to Verizon knowing I would more than likely be in the same boat a year later.

Here we are a yr. later and I'm in the same boat. Went in and saw a friend of mine and wanted to figure out the cheapest way for me to upgrade. With iPhones they really do have their hands tied.

Here's what we came up with.
    1. Add a new line on a month to month plan.
    2. Upgrade that line to a family share plan or Nationwide share plan (doesn't matter it will cost you the same) extra $30 a month+ a $35 one time upgrade fee for me
    3. Then switch the new phone to your primary line.
    4. Sell iPhone on Craigslist or Ebay to recoup some of the cost.

The real benefit for me is that every year no matter what I'll have an available upgrade.

So for the math wiz in the room.
    That's $360 a yr. in extra fees + $299 for the new phone (32g) = $659
    Off contract is $749 (32g) - $659= $90 savings

Keep in mind that this is even before selling the older model iPhone and you don't have to pay the extra $360 a yr. upfront. If you sell the old model for the $360 (doable or possibly more) and you can always get the subsidized price at no extra cost to you.

2. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

They told me take another lines upgrade and then have the phone gifted to mine. I'm going to give my mom the 4s, maybe that can work for you? Good luck!

3. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

That's basically the idea. I only originally had the one line. So I set up the other line and it just won't be used.

4. JDem

JDem Contributor
    Bronze

Same here, 1 year after my first Android phone I activated my old moto krazr on a new line in the store so I could upgrade to the HTC Incredible. Had an upgrade sitting there waiting the day the iPhone 4 launched! Costs me about $160 a year to keep the line active and have a subsidized upgrade every year now. I've never made a single call or sent a single text on that line.

Totally worth it when you look at retail for a new smartphone!

5. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

LOL that is a good idea! especially now with the share everything! I might just do that! thanks!

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app