What To Do With V1 iPhone After June 08?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
As I was responding to another's post about what to do with the current iPhone when the 3G model comes out, a thought came to mind that I wanted to explore with the EIC community. In September, my oldest daughter will be 10. I was thinking of getting her an iPod Touch.

What contraries are there to downloading the iPod Touch firmware and restoring my soon to be retired iPhone as an iPod?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't know about trying to apply Touch firmware to an iPhone (not even sure there are separate firmwares) - that seems like it could lead to a lot of aggro one way or the other - especially as the iPhone has a speaker and the Touch doesn't etc.

But ... hopefully there is a way to switch your existing iPhone activation to your V2 model, and leave the old one not activated and without phone functionality if that's what you're after ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, a jailbroken iPhone without a voice or data plan is basically an iPod touch with a camera and speakers, no?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't know about trying to apply Touch firmware to an iPhone (not even sure there are separate firmwares) - that seems like it could lead to a lot of aggro one way or the other - especially as the iPhone has a speaker and the Touch doesn't etc.

But ... hopefully there is a way to switch your existing iPhone activation to your V2 model, and leave the old one not activated and without phone functionality if that's what you're after ...
On ModMyIfone, there are links to downloading firmware for both devices. I remember listening to a Mobility Today podcast where an iPhone owner, who had terminated his AT&T account, wanted to upgrade the firmware on iTunes. iTunes updated the firmware, but would not let him use the device without activation (iPod mode or otherwise). He gave up. Not sure I would need to update the firmware as it would be my daughter's device.

While I was experimenting with Pwnage, I accidentally loaded the iPod firmware. Was really freaked when iTunes wanted to think of the iPhone as an iPod. I think it still may be possible. But, is it necessary? Can we still use a deactivated iPhone with iTunes for syncing content?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You may need to unlock it, but that's easy enough these days.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would simply suggest unlocking it that way you don't have to go through the troubles of getting the iPod firmware to work and the phone will operate as before if you wish, but most importantly, it can easily be used as only an iPod.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
By removing the SIM card, does the iPhone become in essense an iPod Touch?
Well, I'd never tried it, but I just popped out my sim and it did indeed become the finest little iPod I've ever seen! :)

Just make sure it's jailbroken first and she'll have a right ol' time with it. Good to know, thanks!

p.s. get BossPrefs on it so you can turn off the Edge antenna to save battery since it won't be doing anything anyway.