What to expect if your're returning an iPhone...

edstroyer

Jul 1, 2007
Well I returned my iPhone today for a refund and this is what you'll have to do and also how the transaction went at the Staten Island, NY Apple store...

1. Informed an Apple rep about returning the iPhone, he kindly asked if there was a reason. After telling him he asked if they could troubleshoot the problem, which I obliged (even though I was determined to get a refund). NOTE: No waiting at the Apple Genius Bar for iPhone issues!

2. Apple refunded the total amount of the iPhone. I noticed on my receipt that "No Open Item charge" was held).

3. Apple keeps the SIM card.

4. It's up to you to call and cancel service if you’re a New Customer or remove the iPhone data plan if you're an existing customer and take a trip to the nearest AT&T store and get a new SIM card for your previous phone.

The reason I returned the iPhone was because of all the network issues plus the dead pixels on the phone. I know the network issues would’ve been resolved in some time but I didn’t have the patience waiting for proper service and dead pixels reduce the value if im ever trying to sell it.

It's a fantastic phone and I'll probably give another version of it an other shot again. Good luck everyone!

edstroyer

Jul 1, 2007
Too bad for you. What network issues were you having?
1. After 37 hours waiting to finally get service, I get up July 4th and notice I have no service again. Reset the phone to factory settings ext to no avail. Wait one hour to talk to AT&T to here them say they didn't know what happened. They apologize and they get service reactivated again.

2. Visual Voicemail never worked! I take the NYC subway several times a day and didn't want to have to call to check on voicemails when I resurfaced. I believe checking voicemails count as minutes.

3. Dead Pixels on the screen on any device are a big value reducer in the world of eBay and a major visual annoyance in my opinion.

The AT&T and Apple representatives I spoke with were patient and courteous and wanted to note down my issues for future troubleshooting but, (Not to sound like a troll) $600 is too much money to spend to be a beta tester.

The form factor of the iPhone is the best to date; the operating system is visually beautiful with much potential. I just don’t have the patience why’ll they work out these network problems. It just wasn't meant to be me...

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
1. After 37 hours waiting to finally get service, I get up July 4th and notice I have no service again. Reset the phone to factory settings ext to no avail. Wait one hour to talk to AT&T to here them say they didn't know what happened. They apologize and they get service reactivated again.
Sorry to hear that... but it certainly shouldn't have been unknown or at least unexpected that during the largest cellphone product introduction ever AT&T got a little overwhelmed. Any of the cellphone companies would have.

2. Visual Voicemail never worked! I take the NYC subway several times a day and didn't want to have to call to check on voicemails when I resurfaced. I believe checking voicemails count as minutes.
I had to call Apple, who subsequently called AT&T to get my voicemail working. They do a password reset on their site so you can get the account setup properly. Checking Voicemail doesn't count towards your minutes... but when a caller LEAVES a voicemail it counts towards your minutes... and that's true on most voicemail systems.

*EDIT Correction* According to an AT&T rep posting at Apple, you are NOT charged for voicemail at all, unless the person calling calls you from outside the country using "roaming".

3. Dead Pixels on the screen on any device are a big value reducer in the world of eBay and a major visual annoyance in my opinion.
You could have exchanged for a new phone. Mine has no dead pixels.

The AT&T and Apple representatives I spoke with were patient and courteous and wanted to note down my issues for future troubleshooting but, (Not to sound like a troll) $600 is too much money to spend to be a beta tester.
We aren't beta testers... LOL... that's a little extreme. It IS a first generation product and you knew that when you bought it. There's already been news articles on the fact that we'll be "treated" to lots of updates in the coming months, especially prior to the new OSX coming out. A little patience on your part could have gone a long way.

The form factor of the iPhone is the best to date; the operating system is visually beautiful with much potential. I just don’t have the patience why’ll they work out these network problems. It just wasn't meant to be me...
It doesn't sound like you had significant network problems that couldn't have been solved with a little patience.