What to expect when I go to buy an iPhone 3G?

Chuck8002

Jul 29, 2008
Hi, first off, i'm completely ignorant when it comes to cell phones/buying one. I bought a Samsung blackjack II from the AT&T store about 5 months ago. I realized then that the advertised prices were not what they seemed to be (didn't know you had to read the fine print). Anywho, i've got some cash to spend, figured i'd go with the 16g iPhone 3g. Basically, what i'm looking for is what the two-year plan you must start when you buy an iPhone 3g entails. If i'm correct, I have a plan which is on my family plan currently. When getting an iPhone 3g, my current plan would be canceled? And the iPhone 3g plan would be added to my family plan? If not, please explain, and explain it like you're talking to a five year old kid, please? What does the plan include, what is the "data" plan, is it included? Is internet included? I already have unlimited for my entire family plan is that included?

Also, how is the stock of the 16g iPhone 3g now since it's been out for a few weeks? If it helps, I live in Little Rock, AR. Few AT&T stores in town.

Would the people at AT&T think i'm an idiot and that i'm wasting there time if I went in there and asked a lot of questions about the iPhone 3g and about the plan if I was there alone (i'm 16)? I would plan on going later with my dad to get it, he deals with all the cellphone plans.

Any details on your purchasing and answers to the questions I asked please, let me know! Thanks. :cool:

cococawaii

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Hi, first off, i'm completely ignorant when it comes to cell phones/buying one. I bought a Samsung blackjack II from the AT&T store about 5 months ago. I realized then that the advertised prices were not what they seemed to be (didn't know you had to read the fine print). Anywho, i've got some cash to spend, figured i'd go with the 16g iPhone 3g. Basically, what i'm looking for is what the two-year plan you must start when you buy an iPhone 3g entails. If i'm correct, I have a plan which is on my family plan currently. When getting an iPhone 3g, my current plan would be canceled? And the iPhone 3g plan would be added to my family plan? If not, please explain, and explain it like you're talking to a five year old kid, please? What does the plan include, what is the "data" plan, is it included? Is internet included? I already have unlimited for my entire family plan is that included?

Also, how is the stock of the 16g iPhone 3g now since it's been out for a few weeks? If it helps, I live in Little Rock, AR. Few AT&T stores in town.

Would the people at AT&T think i'm an idiot and that i'm wasting there time if I went in there and asked a lot of questions about the iPhone 3g and about the plan if I was there alone (i'm 16)? I would plan on going later with my dad to get it, he deals with all the cellphone plans.

Any details on your purchasing and answers to the questions I asked please, let me know! Thanks. :cool:
First of all, check whether or not your current phone is eligible for upgrade. Being eligible for upgrade basically means whether or not your original contract is almost up/is up. Do this by dialing 611 on your wireless AT&T phone. If you are eligible for upgrade like I was, you will be able to keep your number and get the special subsidized prices of $199 (8gb) and $299 (16gb).

If you are NOT eligible for upgrade, you will have to either (a) start a new line on your family plan and keep your old phone's plan running (b) start a new line on your family plan and cancel your old phone's plan and be subject to a hefty early termination fee from AT&T (c) pay full retail price of $399 for the 8gb or $499 for the 16gb and extend your contract.

I am assuming that since you just got your Blackjack 5 months ago that you are NOT eligible for upgrade, as your contract is probably two years.

When I signed up for my iPhone 16gb 3G, I was eligible for upgrade. I just went to the Apple Store, they checked my eligibility, and were able to activate it with my old number on the spot with no changing of sim cards. They did not mention anything to me about any changes to my plan that would occur, so I checked my AT&T web account when I got home. I saw that I was now on the unlimited data plan for $30 extra a month, which is basically required and you are automatically signed up for when you get an iPhone 3G. Besides, it's really pointless to have an iPhone 3G if you don't have unlimited data capability.

Keep in mind that ONLY THE PRIMARY USER on the AT&T account can actually buy you an iPhone. Not an authorized user but a PRIMARY USER. Make sure your dad is the primary user and have him come with you to actually buy the phone. He will have to physically be there in person to sign for it. Trust me, I learned that one the hard way.

Also the texting plan prices on the iPhone are horrendous. Since you're on a family plan like I am, it's actually cheaper to just get your entire family an unlimited texting plan for something like $30 a month.

As far as stock, I'm out in Hawaii. We have two Apple stores here and multiple AT&T stores. All AT&T stores were completely sold out last week when I was calling them to get the iPhone 3G. They had a "waitlist" of 10-21 days and were taking down credit card numbers. The Apple store has the iPhone in stock most days where I live. I went down at 9 AM to one of the Apple stores here and had to wait over an hour (this was last week Thursday). So you would be surprised at how many people are still buying it, even though some time has passed since the initial release. Check to see if your AT&T store even has them in stock to buy. They may have them on display like my local AT&T stores did, but they didn't have any available for sale.

Good luck!

Chuck8002

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks! How much will the 16g 3g be costing me if i'm not eligible for an upgrade? Around 450 or what?

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
8gb $399 16gb $499

You also have a better chance of getting an iPhone if you go to an Apple store....that is if you have one

cococawaii

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
^Yup. I had the option of either being waitlisted at AT&T or going to the Apple Store. Not sure if the AT&T stores on the mainland are sold out in store like they are here though. AT&T is a better option for people who can't wait in line at Apple at 8 in the morning to get the iPhone, but who don't mind waiting up to 3 weeks to get one.

Apple is better for people who want to get the iPhone now (assuming they're available at your local Apple store--although they do replenish stock almost daily). You'll most likely have to wait in the line early like I did, but it's worth it IMO. Whether or not the OP's dad will be willing to wait in line with him to sign for the phone is another thing. Mine couldn't because he always works at 8 AM, so I simply called AT&T and had myself put as the primary user.

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Looks like you are ineligible for an early upgrade as you mentioned you bought a BJ II just 5 months ago from the AT&T store (unless you bought it at a non subsidized price then you are eligible for an upgrade). So you will have to pay $499 + tax for a 16GB iPhone and if you want it now, it's better to wake up early one day and head to your nearest Apple store.

BTW, I like a BJ II - just not the phone...:p

Chuck8002

Jul 29, 2008
Alright so since I'm not eligible for an upgrade...I just add my iPhone to my current plan which my bj II is on? Would I have to start the new 2 year iPhone plan or whatever if I'm just paying the full retail price. Also I don't have data plan currently on my bj II so if I could add my iPhone to my current plan i'd have to add that aswell.

Also, debating whether to get a 8g or 16g, probably going to store a lot of music and maybe a few movies..not too too much. Will an 8g hold enough?

And, when you order a phone at At&t can you choose whether you want white or black? Do you like white or black best?

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Yes, at the AT&T store you can certainly choose which color you want. Now, with the 8GB, no choice is involved-there's only black.
I opted for the 8GB, so didn't have a color choice, but had there been a choice, I would have just arbitrarily decided-I don't like one over the other-they're both fine.

cococawaii

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Alright so since I'm not eligible for an upgrade...I just add my iPhone to my current plan which my bj II is on? Would I have to start the new 2 year iPhone plan or whatever if I'm just paying the full retail price. Also I don't have data plan currently on my bj II so if I could add my iPhone to my current plan i'd have to add that aswell.

Also, debating whether to get a 8g or 16g, probably going to store a lot of music and maybe a few movies..not too too much. Will an 8g hold enough?

And, when you order a phone at At&t can you choose whether you want white or black? Do you like white or black best?
Honestly, the price difference between an 8g and 16g is "only" $100 extra for DOUBLE the space, so that's why I went for the 16g. If you wait until late fall/winter of this year, it's RUMORED they're coming out with a 32 g.

Also, when you add your iPhone to the family plan, it automatically adds the unlimited $30 data plan whether you want it or not.

16g comes in white or black. 8g only comes in black. I got the 16g black, and now I'm somewhat regretting not getting it in white. I bought a white case for it which is coming in the mail soon, so hopefully that will make me feel better.