What to use to SSH using a Mac?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I searched, couldn't find anything. I'd like to SSH to my iPhone using my mac this time, so what program can I use on my iMac?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Fugu,
Cyberduck,

and some other program...

I can't remember its name.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
For just plain old moving files, Cyberduck works very well. It doesn't have the Terminal Command feature that WinSCP does, but if you need that, you can do it on the Mac too.

From the Finder Bar: Go>Utilities -> Terminal

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Fugu's nice, but I prefer Cyberduck. Only downside is that you're hit with a nag screen when you close it.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I like Cyberduck too - having just switched over from PC, find it easy to use.

One thing I have not found the easy / right way to do yet on Cyberduck is modify file permissions on a number of files at once. On WinSCP this was an easy click on F9 key - have not found the Cyberduck equivalent ....

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OK, I have cyberduck, and I don't know how to set it up. I'm used to WinSCP, so Cyberduck is foreign to me so far. I need info on server and such. Any help would be appreciated!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
OK, I have cyberduck, and I don't know how to set it up. I'm used to WinSCP, so Cyberduck is foreign to me so far. I need info on server and such. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Hit the Open Connection button towards top left.
  • In the Protocol field, choose SFTP
  • In the Server field, enter your iPhone's IP address
  • Username and password are root, and alpine, or whatever you have changed root's passsword to ...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
  • Hit the Open Connection button towards top left.
  • In the Protocol field, choose SFTP
  • In the Server field, enter your iPhone's IP address
  • Username and password are root, and alpine, or whatever you have changed root's passsword to ...
Worked, thanks!

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Glad to have you join us! Been using a mac since day one, and once you learn the tricks of the trade, it's like heaven. First thing I suggest to a new mac user, yet slightly skilled in computers: download and install quicksilver! Would provide link with nice tutorial, but I'm posting this on my iPhone while in bed. What's the best thing to do when you can't sleep? iPhone forums and IRC channels!

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Glad to have you join us! Been using a mac since day one, and once you learn the tricks of the trade, it's like heaven. First thing I suggest to a new mac user, yet slightly skilled in computers: download and install quicksilver! Would provide link with nice tutorial, but I'm posting this on my iPhone while in bed. What's the best thing to do when you can't sleep? iPhone forums and IRC channels!
What is Quicksilver?

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Act Without Doing

What is Quicksilver?
It basically cuts most actions you want to do on your computer into 3 second actions. Whether it be opening applications, manipulating files,emailing, changing songs in iTunes, or anything of that nature. With the plethora of plug-ins available for Quicksilver, your possibilities are endless. It's a lot more powerful than you realize.

You can start off by reading this to see what it is.

Also read this to learn some basics.

And download this amazing, free program here.

Also, there are quite a bit of youtube videos of screencasts/tutorials, or extra tips.

Extra question: how do you link a youtube video in these forums without posting the actual video?! It's handy, but is there a way to turn that off?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Its kind of weird to see him typing out iTunes when the icon is only 1 click away on the dashboard.

All in all though, I like the idea, its a Terminal with a User interface. The Shelf plugin looks like my new best fried for writing posts around here. I mean how many times can you type "the right speaker is actually a mic?"

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OK, Cyberduck worked great for me, then tonight I added a theme and my iPhone has locked up. I did a hard reboot and it just stays at the Apple screen.
What do I do now?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I believe you try iBrickr to get it out of recovery mode if ZiPhone doesn't have that feature.

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Guys at HackthatiPhone swear by Fugu. I've used it for my iPhone since the first jailbreak, and I've never come across any problems. Only need to delete ~/.ssh/known_hosts every once in awhile.