What upgrades will be software vs hardware upgrades in iPhone's future?

Jul 2, 2007
Which things do you think it's possible to 'fix' just with a software upgrade and which issues are going to require new hardware IE purchasing a new upgraded phone? Here's a few issues that will hopefully be addressed (and feel free to add to the list!) but I'm curious to know if it will come as an easy downloadable upgrade or we'll be buying new phones to get these upgrades in the (near) future:

• Text Messaging to multiple recipients
  • Copy and Paste
  • Saving attachments from emails to your iPhone
  • accessing AT&T's 3G when it comes available later this summer
  • Using your phone as a modem for a laptop
  • Landscape keypad for messaging
  • MMS messaging
  • Setting a background image behind the icon buttons
  • Able to add custom ringtones
  • Able to set specific rings or tones to different functions (receiving text, email, voicemail)
  • Ability to save notes you type (not have to email them, just save them to a folder on the phone)
  • Ability to record short video
  • Flash/Java support
  • Attaching more than one image to an email
  • Bluetooth support beyond their one recommended earpiece headset.

IceTrAiN

Bronze
Just from looking over that list, I think most of them are fixable via software updates, with the exception of the 3g compatibility and MAYBE the bluetooth upgrade. Other than that, heres hoping! :)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Flash/java, aim, bug fixes, horizontal keyboard.

Iwantmymtv35

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
All of those sound reasonable in my opinion, except the 3G. That would require something within the phone. However, I don't know if they could maybe add an add-on or something. Who knows.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Which things do you think it's possible to 'fix' just with a software upgrade and which issues are going to require new hardware IE purchasing a new upgraded phone? Here's a few issues that will hopefully be addressed (and feel free to add to the list!) but I'm curious to know if it will come as an easy downloadable upgrade or we'll be buying new phones to get these upgrades in the (near) future:
  • Text Messaging to multiple recipients
  • Copy and Paste
  • Saving attachments from emails to your iPhone
  • accessing AT&T's 3G when it comes available later this summer
  • Using your phone as a modem for a laptop
  • Landscape keypad for messaging
  • MMS messaging
  • Setting a background image behind the icon buttons
  • Able to add custom ringtones
  • Able to set specific rings or tones to different functions (receiving text, email, voicemail)
  • Ability to save notes you type (not have to email them, just save them to a folder on the phone)
  • Ability to record short video
  • Flash/Java support
  • Attaching more than one image to an email
  • Bluetooth support beyond their one recommended earpiece headset.

That pretty much covers my whole list, plus more.... Very comprehensive. :)

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Didn't include GPS. That would of course require a hardware upgrade.

There was talk of some possibility that some hackers could use triangulation off cell towers to get your location though.