What versions to look out for when buying an iPhone 3GS on Craigslist for unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Granitel, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Granitel

Granitel New Member

Q: If you were buying an iPhone 3GS off of Craigslist for an Xmas gift for your young child ... what would you be on the lookout for NOT to buy?
    • Personally, based on my prior experience with the 3G, I'd prefer a non-jailbroken iPhone 3GS so I could start fresh
    • But, what iOS would I NOT want to get (which may be hard to JB)?
    • And, which bootloader/bootrom versions should I NOT buy?
    • Is there anything else in an iPhone 3GS to be on the lookout for?
    HISTORY:
    Naively, over the summer, I bought an already-jailbroken iPhone 3G for one of my kids, and only recently did I find out it's vastly important exactly what bootloader is installed (as the one I have is not downgradable):
    - Why won't a BOOTROM version show up in WinXP Device Mgr on a JB iPhone 3G 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00

I also had to downgrade the iPhone that I bought, from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3 just to run certain applications (Cycorder, in particular).

In the end, if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought:
    a) A virgin iPhone 3G with an old iOS on it (e.g., iOS 3.1.3 would have been ideal)
    b) An iPhone with the 5.8 bootloader version
    c) An iPhone with the native (not iPad) baseband installed

QUESTION:
    Q: What would you consider danger signs to be on the lookout for when buying an iPhone 3GS on Craigslist for use on T-Mobile?

2. madchanson

madchanson New Member

Never a fan of buying 2nd hand stuff but for kids i think they wont know the difference. You might want to look for 3gs with ios 4.3.3 either JBd or stock. if stock 4.3.3 i think you can jailbreak it using www.jailbreakme.com then unlock using ultrasn0w... but you can do a bit more researching about the basebands ultrasn0w supports. but if you can't find any 4.3.3 then you might want to look for 4.2.1 or 4.1 which Apple still signs upto now i think :)

3. Granitel

Granitel New Member

For the record, I found out elsewhere by googling these two sites should provide the information needed:
    The sites' purpose is to tell you what programs you can use to unlock any specified iPhone.

For example, if I take that iPhone 3GS with 4.3.3 you mentioned, and assume a baseband of 06.15.00, then the unlock wizard tells me the following:

4. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

You want one with a baseband of 5.13.04 or lower. If you feel you'd like functional GPS on the device, you'd want to avoid ones that have the upgraded baseband of 6.15.00. The use of the iPad bb (6.15.00) on iPhones forces the 3GS to only be able to upgrade/restore with custom firmwares on iOS 4.2.1 and higher. The baseband affects unlockability. Consider if you're okay with dealing with the 6.15.00 baseband, also consider negotiating the price with the seller bc it's kind of like a handicap. That baseband is not able to be downgraded either.

As for jailbreakability, if the seller knows, try to get an old bootrom version. Those are always untethered jb. If it's new boot, on 4.3.4 and higher, all jailbreaks on the device will be tethered/semi-tethered.

Ultimately you'd want to buy one with a baseband of 5.13.04 or lower. The firmware version on a new boot preferably should be 4.3.3 or below. On an old boot the fw version really doesn't matter (unless it's on 5.0.1 bc Ultrasn0w - the unlock tool - isn't compatible on it unless some manual SSH work is done). 5.0 is okay.

5. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

If I'm reading this right, you're saying that there are a few iPhone 3GS's (older ones) that can be unlocked to use with, say, T-Mobile, and that can still have their GPS chips running?

I have a 3GS that is jailbroken and unlocked, it now has firmware 5.0.1 and baseband 06.15.00. Apparently the GPS chip in my phone is not active. Maps cannot find its location unless WiFi is turned on (?). With WiFi turned on, it gets me within a few blocks, that's not as accurate as my old Garmin Emap. But with WiFi turned off, I can stand outside in one spot with it for half an hour, and it will never figure out where it is.

If I can find an iPhone 3GS with a certain older iOS, and a certain baseband that's never been upgraded, then can I get that one unlocked WITHOUT turning off the GPS, so that I can use it with T-Mobile?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, I have an old bootrom 3GS that has a baseband that's two and a half years old (the one that came with the 3.1.2 firmware). It's unlocked with ultrasn0w and GPS works fine.

7. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Not exactly. It's a gamble on any 3GS device that wasn't manufactured after week 35 of 2011. Whether the gps will work or not is not dependent on any specification per device. There is no known way to figure out which device will make it out with gps function or not when applying the iPad bb as an unlocking method.

8. iAnnie

iAnnie Member
    Bronze

Edit: what I meant about the new 3GS manufactured after week 35, those cannot apply the iPad bb at all. Doing so will brick the device (as in for real brick, not stuck in dfu or recovery, completely useless).