what virus protection etc would you recommend for a MacBook?

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
sorry, not iPhone related, but what virus protection etc would you highly recommend for a macbook? and last, whats the safest source to download free music? l*mewire? torrent? somewhere along those lines is what i'm looking for. so if you can recommend something, GREAT! thanks all. i really appreciate it.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
that's true for windows products as well.
LOL! I didn't know that...I've just heard/read countless horror stories from unsuspecting Mac owners who have installed Norton products. Back in the good ol' days Norton was decent-to-good. Wonder what happened?

Either way, avoid them like the plague....and why wouldn't you when there's good free virus protection out there really? ;)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nothing. I've used many Macs for many years and not one of them has ever been infected with anything.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Antivirus programs for Mac are in fact the Virus itself.

Furthermore, the only Mac malware I have seen are those installed by the user. The unscroupulous deeds are then done by said app transparently, case in point: Inquisitor for Leopard.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, not iPhone related, but what virus protection etc would you highly recommend for a macbook? and last, whats the safest source to download free music? l*mewire? torrent? somewhere along those lines is what i'm looking for. so if you can recommend something, GREAT! thanks all. i really appreciate it.
Never used one in 14 years. Never got a virus. (But I always back up important stuff on an external drive).

bmg97

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
You could try Intego. I use it on my macbook pro. Its better to be safe then sorry. I figure as Apple / mac get more popular there is always going to be some retard to try and f up a good thing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
as a windows user, i can tell you i'd rather backup my data, and if i get infected somehow, just restore my system.

It's spyware protection you do need protection from 24/7. Not sure how that affects you mac guys, though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
as a windows user, i can tell you i'd rather backup my data, and if i get infected somehow, just restore my system.

It's spyware protection you do need protection from 24/7. Not sure how that affects you mac guys, though.
I have no protection apart from what's built into OS X. I realize that the Mac isn't targeted nearly as much as the PC is - and it will be more with it's increasing market share - but it's pretty obvious that Apple took time protecting their computers.

- John

Thomas00

Dec 10, 2008
search-and-destroy.

Ya it is true that every operating system needs a anti virus protection. I refer to use search-and-destroy. Because I found it really good and professional. Thank You.