what virus protection etc would you recommend for a MacBook?

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
sorry, not iPhone related, but what virus protection etc would you highly recommend for a macbook? and last, whats the safest source to download free music? l*mewire? torrent? somewhere along those lines is what i'm looking for. so if you can recommend something, GREAT! thanks all. i really appreciate it.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I don't use any virus protection myself since they're really aren't any credible viruses out the for OSX. Either way, stay away from ANY AND ALL Norton products for Mac! They will cause you nothing but problems.

With that out of the way, check out ClamXav here: http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24449

It's free and people speak very highly about it. Hope that helps.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
that's true for windows products as well.
LOL! I didn't know that...I've just heard/read countless horror stories from unsuspecting Mac owners who have installed Norton products. Back in the good ol' days Norton was decent-to-good. Wonder what happened?

Either way, avoid them like the plague....and why wouldn't you when there's good free virus protection out there really? ;)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nothing. I've used many Macs for many years and not one of them has ever been infected with anything.

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Antivirus programs for Mac are in fact the Virus itself.

Furthermore, the only Mac malware I have seen are those installed by the user. The unscroupulous deeds are then done by said app transparently, case in point: Inquisitor for Leopard.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
sorry, not iPhone related, but what virus protection etc would you highly recommend for a macbook? and last, whats the safest source to download free music? l*mewire? torrent? somewhere along those lines is what i'm looking for. so if you can recommend something, GREAT! thanks all. i really appreciate it.
Never used one in 14 years. Never got a virus. (But I always back up important stuff on an external drive).

bmg97

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
You could try Intego. I use it on my macbook pro. Its better to be safe then sorry. I figure as Apple / mac get more popular there is always going to be some retard to try and f up a good thing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
as a windows user, i can tell you i'd rather backup my data, and if i get infected somehow, just restore my system.

It's spyware protection you do need protection from 24/7. Not sure how that affects you mac guys, though.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
as a windows user, i can tell you i'd rather backup my data, and if i get infected somehow, just restore my system.

It's spyware protection you do need protection from 24/7. Not sure how that affects you mac guys, though.
I have no protection apart from what's built into OS X. I realize that the Mac isn't targeted nearly as much as the PC is - and it will be more with it's increasing market share - but it's pretty obvious that Apple took time protecting their computers.

- John

Thomas00

Dec 10, 2008
search-and-destroy.

Ya it is true that every operating system needs a anti virus protection. I refer to use search-and-destroy. Because I found it really good and professional. Thank You.