What was your first Mac?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
My first Mac was when I was around 6 or so. Parents got it for us used (sister and I)

It was an Apple IIGS...I remember playing wordmunchers and a game that trained on how to use a mouse.

apple IIgs.jpg

word munchers.jpg

Funnily enough I have used PC's since then. I plan on getting a 22" iMac soon.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
By the time I could afford to buy my own laptop, I was in university and their online exam software isn't compatible with Macs, so I bought a Toshiba. Well of course, that Toshiba just died. A friend borrowed me her (really) old MacBook to use until I can afford a new one. But the thing is still running Tiger. It's pretty much useless. So my first Mac has not been a great experience.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I, too, opted for the "upgrade" to 512k of memory in 1984. I think that brought the price close to $3500. I had some kind of modem that plugged into the keyboard - I'm sure it was lightning fast!

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
What's a Mac?
Seriously though, I've never owned one, and have never even used one either....and it will probably be years before I upgrade my new PC, so not sure when, and if I'll ever try a Mac.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I was a Mac developer back in the mid 80s so my first was the original Mac Classic (128K) then I upgraded it to a Fat Mac (512K). I think it originally cost $2500. Good times, good times.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My first was a 1st gen 15" MBP back in Feb/Mar '06. Just 2 weeks ago, I bought a 2.2 Ghz i7 15 incher with the faster 500 GB hd & 8 GB of RAM. The migration assistant feature has really sold me on sticking with the platform even though I've never cared for the cutesy names Apple has always used for programs and functions.

YMMV

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm another late joiner to the Mac "Cult".

I bought a 2008 MacBook and was instantly hooked. 1GB of RAM which I later upgraded to 2GB (doesn't seem much does it) with a 2Ghz Dual-Core processor on board.

I loved it, still do. Love my iMac and MBP more, though.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
At the risk of dating myself, my first Mac was an LC in college. It had a whopping 16 MHz processor and a 40MB hard drive. I loved it and thought it was far superior to my roommate's IBM PS/1. However, a guy who lived next door to me in the dorm freshman year had me beat - he had a modem to go with his Mac Quadra. We didn't really understand what this mysterious modem thing did aside from let him connect to the engineering school to access files.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
really? what kind of stuff did you guys program? what langauge?
I worked for Hayes Microcomputer Products. They made modems so I worked on communications software (called Smartcom) and a very short lived database utility called Please. We also made the first internal modem for Macs when Apple created a model that had slots like a PC. I did an app for that that let you turn a Mac into a communications server. This was back in the late 80s and very early 90s. All work was done using standard Ansi C, long before they came out with Objective C.

Reactions: iphonewarrior

computerfox

Zealot
Gold
Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I worked for Hayes Microcomputer Products. They made modems so I worked on communications software (called Smartcom) and a very short lived database utility called Please. We also made the first internal modem for Macs when Apple created a model that had slots like a PC. I did an app for that that let you turn a Mac into a communications server. This was back in the late 80s and very early 90s. All work was done using standard Ansi C, long before they came out with Objective C.
are Apple servers also written in c? because i know certain sun servers are java and i believe windows servers are still c#.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
are Apple servers also written in c? because i know certain sun servers are java and i believe windows servers are still c#.
If modern Mac programs are like iPhone apps, they are written in Objective C which is Apple’s version of C. It adds extensions and syntax structures to make C more object oriented.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
My parents bought our family an Apple IIe in 1984. It was awesome!