What widgets do you want in iOS 8?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
As you know by now, iOS 8 introduces support for third-party widgets. These aren't traditional widgets, which I still define as those which exist on your home screen, but they are widgets just the same. These tiny windows of information or playback controls will reside in the Notification Center. For those still on iOS 7, think 'Stocks', but apply that to the entire app ecosystem. You could have an ESPN widget with scores or maybe a Tweetbot widget that should @ replies. The options are limitless and developers will be working hard to bring them to iOS in the fall.

I have two widgets that I want above all. First, I'd love player controls for Sonos. It would be nice to drag down the Notification Center and boom – have playback controls for Sonos. The second would be Nest. During winter and summer months, I'm constantly adjusting temperatures, trying to find that perfect balance between comfort and savings.

What widgets do you want in iOS 8?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm not a big fan of widgets, but I did always want one for weather. Since we already got that a couple years ago, the only other one I can think of that I'd want is a Google search bar.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm not a big fan of widgets, but I did always want one for weather. Since we already got that a couple years ago, the only other one I can think of that I'd want is a Google search bar.
I've changed my opinion of widgets. When I'm on Android, I do hide them to the left and right of my home screen. What's weird is that Apple's implementation is sort of like Google in some ways. For example, if I'm playing Sonos, I have a widget on a home screen and controls in notifications. The second is basically what Apple's doing here.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The ESPN widget is what I want. The only widgets I have on my Android devices are weather and music streaming.
Beats Widget! I have to renew at some point. I enjoyed it during my 3 months. However, I see Spotify has a 3-month deal for $9.99. I'm strongly considering that for the summer.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, the current weather widget in Notification Center sucks in comparison to what we had on iOS 5. The widget is useless in the daytime because it fails to provide the most relevant bit of information - the current temperature. It just says "the high will be x°."

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah, the current weather widget in Notification Center sucks in comparison to what we had on iOS 5. The widget is useless in the daytime because it fails to provide the relevant bit of information - the current temperature. It just says "the high will be x°."

A weather "widget" that doesn't give you the current temperature. Fail.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
A weather "widget" that doesn't give you the current temperature. Fail.
Mine does.

Just kidding! I know what you meant.

Personally, I find myself inquiring what the days hi and low is going to be more than current temperature since I can see and feel what it currently is by looking out the window and/or letting my dogs out early in the morning.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Mine does.

Personally, I find myself inquiring what the days hi and low is going to be more than current temperature since I can't see and feel what it currently is by looking out the window and/or letting my dogs out early in the morning.
Just to clarify this for those who don't understand: it doesn't give you the current temperature in the daytime if it's lower than the predicted high for the day. It just says what the high will be. I had to add a jailbreak tweak to the notification center to get the current temperature. I can see all the Android users cringing and shaking their heads in amazement that we have to jailbreak for this basic feature...

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Mine does.

Personally, I find myself inquiring what the days hi and low is going to be more than current temperature since I can see and feel what it currently is by looking out the window and/or letting my dogs out early in the morning.
Check it about 1:00 pm. During mid day times close to the high, it only says, "The high today is 50°." Then when the temp starts to lower, it begins showing the current temp again. I've found that it starts the "high today" thing at different times. Usually between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, then resumes the current temp late afternoon. It appears that when it gets to within 2 or 3 degrees of the high, it starts the high only thing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Check it about 1:00 pm. During mid day times close to the high, it only says, "The high today is 50°." Then when the temp starts to lower, it begins showing the current temp again. I've found that it starts the "high today" thing at different times. Usually between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, then resumes the current temp late afternoon. It appears that when it gets to within 2 or 3 degrees of the high, it starts the high only thing.
He understands how it works. Did you miss the part where he said he was kidding and he knew what Napoleon meant? I already clarified it for others here who might not understand how it works.