What widgets do you want in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chris, Jun 4, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

As you know by now, iOS 8 introduces support for third-party widgets. These aren't traditional widgets, which I still define as those which exist on your home screen, but they are widgets just the same. These tiny windows of information or playback controls will reside in the Notification Center. For those still on iOS 7, think 'Stocks', but apply that to the entire app ecosystem. You could have an ESPN widget with scores or maybe a Tweetbot widget that should @ replies. The options are limitless and developers will be working hard to bring them to iOS in the fall.

I have two widgets that I want above all. First, I'd love player controls for Sonos. It would be nice to drag down the Notification Center and boom – have playback controls for Sonos. The second would be Nest. During winter and summer months, I'm constantly adjusting temperatures, trying to find that perfect balance between comfort and savings.

What widgets do you want in iOS 8?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not a big fan of widgets, but I did always want one for weather. Since we already got that a couple years ago, the only other one I can think of that I'd want is a Google search bar.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've changed my opinion of widgets. When I'm on Android, I do hide them to the left and right of my home screen. What's weird is that Apple's implementation is sort of like Google in some ways. For example, if I'm playing Sonos, I have a widget on a home screen and controls in notifications. The second is basically what Apple's doing here.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The ESPN widget is what I want. The only widgets I have on my Android devices are weather and music streaming.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Beats Widget! I have to renew at some point. I enjoyed it during my 3 months. However, I see Spotify has a 3-month deal for $9.99. I'm strongly considering that for the summer.

6. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I gotta say, I don't really have much use for widgets aside from the weather... maybe once I see what iOS developers come up I'll change my mind...

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Has Apple switched from Yahoo Weather to The Weather Channel for the weather info?

8. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Yes

9. keith1210mk2

keith1210mk2 New Member

Weather and EBay will be useful

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Which weather site? The notification center already has weather provided by the Weather Channel.

11. keith1210mk2

keith1210mk2 New Member

Maybe a 5 day forecast, I do miss the weather widget from iOS5 funnily enough.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, now you have to launch the app for that. I had forgotten how we could swipe and see a forecast for several days.

13. keith1210mk2

keith1210mk2 New Member

It was just a handy little feature

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, the current weather widget in Notification Center sucks in comparison to what we had on iOS 5. The widget is useless in the daytime because it fails to provide the most relevant bit of information - the current temperature. It just says "the high will be x°."

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A weather "widget" that doesn't give you the current temperature. Fail.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't guess close counts. :D

17. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Mine does.

[​IMG]

Just kidding! I know what you meant.

Personally, I find myself inquiring what the days hi and low is going to be more than current temperature since I can see and feel what it currently is by looking out the window and/or letting my dogs out early in the morning.

#17 ZR_Yancy, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify this for those who don't understand: it doesn't give you the current temperature in the daytime if it's lower than the predicted high for the day. It just says what the high will be. I had to add a jailbreak tweak to the notification center to get the current temperature. I can see all the Android users cringing and shaking their heads in amazement that we have to jailbreak for this basic feature...

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Check it about 1:00 pm. During mid day times close to the high, it only says, "The high today is 50°." Then when the temp starts to lower, it begins showing the current temp again. I've found that it starts the "high today" thing at different times. Usually between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, then resumes the current temp late afternoon. It appears that when it gets to within 2 or 3 degrees of the high, it starts the high only thing.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He understands how it works. Did you miss the part where he said he was kidding and he knew what Napoleon meant? I already clarified it for others here who might not understand how it works.