What will 2.0 firmware do for my phone?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Good Day

I am considering upgrading my phone to 1.1.4 from 1.1.2 (all sarcastic comments from readers as to why I haven't upgraded will be ignored).

I was told by a member of this fine website (through PM) that I might want to wait until firmware 2.0 comes out rather than go through the entire process of Jailbreaking and then having to RE jailbreak after 2.0 comes out.

My questions:

How exactly will the 2.0 improve my phone? (I really do not know).

I certainly can wait until June to upgrade my phone, would it be a major pain to upgrade and JB twice?

Any opinions?

Good Day

Dana

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Good Day

I am considering upgrading my phone to 1.1.4 from 1.1.2 (all sarcastic comments from readers as to why I haven't upgraded will be ignored).

I was told by a member of this fine website (through PM) that I might want to wait until firmware 2.0 comes out rather than go through the entire process of Jailbreaking and then having to RE jailbreak after 2.0 comes out.

My questions:

How exactly will the 2.0 improve my phone? (I really do not know).

I certainly can wait until June to upgrade my phone, would it be a major pain to upgrade and JB twice?

Any opinions?

Good Day

Dana
As of right now, all 2.0 is is beta firmware. The 2.0 of now and the 2.0 of June may be completely different.

In the current version that developers have, there is a contacts search, ability to add images from Safari to the camera roll, the AppStore (you can't buy anything from it), and a few other things. I had it on my phone for a week or so to test out a few things I had developed, but after OpenGL ES came out witht he iPhone Simulator, I went back to a jailbroken 1.14.

Unless you're signed up as a developer and Apple has given you the firmware, you'll have to download it form somewhere. My suggestion is that unless you really want 2.0, stick with what you have now.

- John

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
That's it?
Forget it.

Actually Sir, I had no intention of trying out the Beta firmware. I can barely convince myself to JB because I am so used to the apps I have now.
And unless Apple comes out with some SERIOUS apps that can improve on the ones I have now, I ain't buying S from the Apple store.

But you have brought up a thought: Will the 2.0 firmware in June have some sort of unjailbreakable bit inside it? And if it dosen't, why wouldn't it? Wouldn't it be more self serving of Apple to give you firmware that KEEPS you from being able to JB your phone, so you would HAVE to buy the apps from them?

Paranoically yours

Dana

Good Day

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
As John's mentioned, 2.0 is not finalized yet. There are a number of things that Apple has told us will be in 2.0 though - two of the biggest things are the App Store for buying apple-approved 3rd party apps, and full support for Microsoft Exchange and Activesync (and remember this is not just for corporates, you can get Hosted Exhange plans for individuals).

We can also be fairly sure that some nice new features on display in the latest beta builds of 2.0 will stay in the final version - things like contacts search, native screenshot taking ability, ability to download images out of the Safari browser, and a few more cool ones I'm forgetting right now.

As for whether jailbreaking now and then having to do it again when 2.0 hits is worth it, that's a tough call, knowing that you've mentioned that you've had a very hard time on your most recent jailbreak efforts. Generally, I'd say there are methods that are so easy now (ZiPhone and Pwnage) that is is worthwhile, but I'd hate to see you have any further aggro if you're happy with your current setup ...

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait.

But that's ALL this firmware is going to do: Give me picture ability which I won't use, contacts search which I don't need, connections to BUY things, and some mumbo jumbo about a whole bunch of words (including Activesynch and hosted exchange plans) I don't understand?

Thanks for your input.

Good Day

Dana

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Waiting sounds like it may well be the right call for you. I think for a lot of us the App Store is a very big deal, and I think it is a pretty safe bet you will see some serious apps once it launches. I have a feeling there will be lots of 'Wow' sort of apps from Day 1 or soon after its launch - from games to productivity apps and all sorts.

As for Exchange, sounds like it will not be of interest for you, but just in case ... it's a very powerful solution for email / contacts / calendar. With Activesync, sync is wireless and instant for all three of those. So if you add a contact on your iPhone, or edit a contact's phone number, for example, the edits or the new contact are instantly replicated to a server, and are instantly visible anywhere else that you run an Exchange client - like Outlook on the desktop for instance. Also means no more need to figure out separate strategies and apps in order to sync your calendar plus your email etc. Add an appointment on the desktop, and no need to attach your iPhone via cable, the new entry is on your iPhone right away.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
the app store IMO. Will be a major upgrade/safe to jailbreaking . Alot of the developers are ganna have major cash to spend to throw into an app. With companys like EA games and Sega. AOL, u can imagine what other developers could jump on board. With the protection going throw the app store u won't need to worry about much.
As far as jail breaking.. I say upgrade and jailbreak using ZiPhone.. Its so easy and near effortless.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Got Pancakes
Good Day, Sir.

Thank you for your interest in my post.
I shall consider upgrading.

Good Day

Dana

P.S. Great avatar, Sir.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Whoops.
Double post.
Please delete.

Good Day

Matt

Bronze
May 10, 2007
From what I heard is that you have the choice to choose if your app is going to be free or if you want you can charge. I think there will be a lot of apps that will be free... or pretty cheap! I think 2.0 is going to be awesome! I cant wait :laugh2:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Dana
Good Day Sir

I would not go to 2.0,
and i would just go to 1.1.3/4

Good Day

P.S. you have a PM, sir.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thank you, Sam.
Good Day.

I did get your PM last night, but had early rehearsal today.
In your opinion, should I simply wait until June for 2.0?
I have no burning desire to upgrade my phone.

Thank you for your PM, Sir.

Good Day

Dana

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Just fyi, jailbreaking with ZiPhone takes approx. 1 minute 30 seconds. You just connect the iPhone, and press a button.

If it's not for you, restore it in all of 5 minutes. Just my suggestion.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
From what I heard is that you have the choice to choose if your app is going to be free or if you want you can charge. I think there will be a lot of apps that will be free... or pretty cheap! I think 2.0 is going to be awesome! I cant wait :laugh2:
That's exactly my opinion too. Move along May let's get June through here.