What will happen if I....

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
I have a second pc now. So of course one of the first things I did was download iTunes to it. However, I see no way of "signing in" to my account. What will happen if I connect my iPhone to it? Will it erase the video/music etc on the iPhone or will it add the video/music etc to iTunes on the new pc?

Is it even possible to be syncing the iPhone to two computers?

All I want to do is be able to use iTunes and sync the iPhone just like I always have only now from either computer I happen to connect to.

Thanks!

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Your iPhone will sync whatever the iTunes on that PC is set to sync with that iPhone. So if you have no music, no videos, no apps and tell that iTunes to sync with your phone, you'll wind up with no music, apps, or videos until you sync with the other one again.

You can do a 2 (or more) PC solution if you disable syncing for those items that you don't want to sync. As an example, I sync Apps with my laptop, but I sync music and video with my desktop since it has more HDD space to hold them.

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Okay, Thanks for the info. Not what I wanted to hear though.;)
I was hoping to be able to do what ever I wanted from either pc.
I find it odd that we are not "allowed" to use more than one. Must be a way of policing file sharing.

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
What if the iTunes library was the same for both computers, like on a network? So that for each PC the library was the same location? Would that make it possible to sync from either PC or would that mess stuff up?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, whatever is on the library (and enabled for sync) is what gets synced. You can authorize up to 5 PCs per iTunes account, but what you cannot do is re-download music and videos that you've already purchased - just apps. So you'd need to manually/automatically somehow sync the two libraries.