What will happen to Jailbreaking when SDK comes along

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 29, 2007
What do you think will happen to jailbreaking when in fact in a little over 2 months SDK is expected to come with its own software platform? Do you think Apple will require non jailbroken iPhones only to use SDK by a firmware upgrade or some other sort? Also do you think SDK will be better than jailbraking ones iPhone?

None of us will know what happen but its always fun to speculate.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I suspect that there will need to be a new version on the phone to be able to download and install the software being released. I suspect that the security in the new version will be 10 times what it has been in the past in an attempt to keep the phone locked down. I also suspect that I will be staying on my jailbroken 1.1.2 phone for a long time until a really good assortment of final quality software is available for purchase and available at a decent price. Then I will make the jump.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I think no really knows what to expect when that time comes, or what will be revealed by Stevo at MacWorld. I would think he would tell us what is on the horizon.

binLatin

Nov 4, 2007
i believe jailbreakin will evolve to into a way to get free apps instead of having to pay for each app u want to get

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I will definitely hold out for the SDK until some worthy software is available and until that time I'll still be rocking my old FW. I really don't even mind paying for whatever is released either, it's just a matter of getting worth out of it.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No questions asked: the SDK will cease any and all jailbreaking for me.

As for others, we have yet to see. There is, of of curse, the looming possibility that we will have to pay for applications. Do I care? Nope. Will I pay for them? You bet. There will definitely be productive, useful apps available and they will work seamlessly with the iPhone.

I'm positive that jailbreaking will continue (providing that a new FW doesn't kill it) if Apple charges for the apps. However, if they do not charge, and there is a large supply of desired apps, heck, maybe we'll see it fade out.

- John

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Jailbreaking will continue I'm sure for the simple fact of making the phone look however you want. I seriously doubt Apple will allow you to theme the phone to look however you want, so my guess is people like myself will want to keep doing this because we hate the way the default one looks and like to have our completely customized.

VSpec

Dec 13, 2007
Jailbreaking will continue I'm sure for the simple fact of making the phone look however you want. I seriously doubt Apple will allow you to theme the phone to look however you want, so my guess is people like myself will want to keep doing this because we hate the way the default one looks and like to have our completely customized.
+1. I like having mine customized to my own personal liking.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
This is what I was thinking too, apps yes but I am also doubting you will be able to customize. But who knows, you can change computer themes so why shouldn't they let you on the iPhone. I hope it's all for the good of the iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Here's the question: Will the SDK allow the iPhone hackers to write more stable apps? It could be a good thing. I know Apple won't be giving the SDK out to hackers, but I bet they'll get a hold of it somehow...

Sep 29, 2007
Here's the question: Will the SDK allow the iPhone hackers to write more stable apps? It could be a good thing. I know Apple won't be giving the SDK out to hackers, but I bet they'll get a hold of it somehow...
I am here to prove you wrong, Apple hired one of the first hackers who wrote native applications for the iPhone. There is an article somewhere on this site I will have to look for it.

Link: http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2007/12/18/apple-hires-author-of-the-unofficial-iphone-sdk/

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am here to prove you wrong, Apple hired one of the first hackers who wrote native applications for the iPhone. There is an article somewhere on this site I will have to look for it.

Link: http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2007/12/18/apple-hires-author-of-the-unofficial-iphone-sdk/
I don't think that their hiring one developer proves that he is wrong. The development kit may still not be readily available to the current group of people that write the software for the phone. It would be stupid on Apples part to not allow it to be available to anyone that wants it because they are going to be the final deciding factor on what software is going to be available through iTunes but their hiring one hacker does not prove that all the hackers will be provided the software kit by Apple.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

That doesn't actually prove him wrong. For starters if (and yes that's an if in my book) that one person was hired by Apple he sold himself to Apple therefore he isn't a "hacker" by definition. In addition to that you are talking about one person, which to me doesn't set a trend.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
That doesn't actually prove him wrong. For starters if (and yes that's an if in my book) that one person was hired by Apple he sold himself to Apple therefore he isn't a "hacker" by definition. In addition to that you are talking about one person, which to me doesn't set a trend.

--
Mike

He is no Hacker....he is a Software Engineer or Architect.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
He's smart in my book. Shoot, if Apple knocked on my door and was like, here's X amount of money to come work for up doing something you love to do, I'd be like, where do I sign up.

Why not contact Apple and send them a resume. You help a lot of people here with technical things.

Also my brother-in-law works as a recruiter for Google he screens hundreds of thousands of resumes but only about 10% are hired. And they are hiring. The benefits are just incredable (sorry I need spell check...Hey Chris can we get some spell check here?)

Sep 29, 2007
Answer this:

Did he "hack" the iPhone before a majority of other people did? He was one of the first to create native applications on the iPhone. If he is not a hacker then I do not know what is.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Answer this:

Did he "hack" the iPhone before a majority of other people did? He was one of the first to create native applications on the iPhone. If he is not a hacker then I do not know what is.
I guess you can call him a former hacker, at least with regards to the iPhone.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, as someone who has never jail broken my phone. I can't wait for the SDK to be released. I agree that it won't put an end to jail breaking, but it'll certainly cut down all those threads about people bricking their phone. I think fewer people will want to after. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the features that we desperatly want like being able to send text to more than one person will be available as an app you have to buy as opposed to a firmware update.