What will replace the space where the search page was?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Martuss, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Martuss

Martuss New Member

The search screen (spot light) under previous os versions was a swipe to the right from the home screen. From all reports, it will be a swipe down on any app on the homescreen on ios7.

So, does this pave the way for widgets to be added left of the home screen in later os versions or when the next iPhone is released? Surely Apple will not have shown all of its cards before the next iPhone model comes out and surely Apple won't let the real estate left of the home screen go to waste. The optimist in me thinks that Apple has something planned for that space, be it widgets or something else.

Anyone heard rumours or dare to take a guess or am I wishfuly thinking?

2. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Like you I'm wishfuly thinking that space doesn't go un-used. At the moment the page is completely gone from your springboard so I don't really think they are going to bring it back. However, "Control Center" in settings is extremely bare for it being it's own settings pane so that has led me to believe there is more to come (customizable quick toggles?) as well... Apple definitely didn't show us everything they have in store for iOS7, but will there be widgets? Your guess is as good as mine, but I sure hope so!

3. Martuss

Martuss New Member

I thought about having that left page as a page for shortcuts to your 16/20 most used/ favourite apps but then I thought you basically have that with the bottom bar with all the apps that are open anyway.

Then I thought it could be a page that you swipe to go back to your last used app but I've read that ios7 will have that anyway.

I remember when I had a Galaxy s2 for all of 2 days before I replaced it with my current i4s that you can swipe to the left for widgets. So I'm convinced that there will be a page left of the home screen that will have widgets/customisations/toggle options/etc. When this will happen remains to be seen but hopefully it's not too far away.

4. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

It's possible, I just don't think it'll be on that screen... I was thinking it'd be more like how they implement the dashboard in Os X... yes, ANOTHER stock icon that you cannot delete lmao...

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That space could simply carry a live feed from your security camera at home. It could have a small button on the bottom to buzz someone in. For example, you hear your doorbell. Swipe left. Oh, it's your neighbor, Дми́трий. And he's carrying a triangular pizza box from the new place that sells pizzas in the shape of a triangle. Tap the button, buzz him in.

images.jpeg

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What space?! The Spotlight page is gone now that it can be accessed from any springboard page. If there was still an empty page there I'd understand the question.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There would be no space left, correct, but Apple could choose to implement something there after Spotlight moves out. Or do you think it's better to just remove the swipe left functionality altogether?

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm just specifically talking about the space where the Spotlight search used to be.

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The void.

11. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

You mean North Dakota?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The we found a better place for it, move on...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Spotlight is no longer there... It's already moved out is what we are trying to say... there's not a blank space where it used to be... It's gone.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I am crystal clear on what's happening =) I am not running the 7.0 beta 1, but I hear you guys loud and clear.

15. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I always thought the spotlight page was a waste of space. I'm glad they got rid of it. Having it accessible from any home page provides better form and functionality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I never used Spotlight, glad it got moved. I may use it more is iOS 7 though...

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

+1 on the spotlight relocation

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

There are really 3 pages to the left of the home page, only the first was used by Apple for Spotlight, the other two were never used. So now we have three pages to discuss possible future use. :D

19. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Don't understand your remarks here... When did we have 3 pages to swipe to left?

20. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I said the other two were never used. Tongue in cheek.

Sent using the Android iCafe app