What wireless router to buy best bang for the buck

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
I'm thinking of buying a wireless router is one just as good as the other? What kind of stuff should I look for? I'm thinking of getting it at walmart do they have any worth a dang?

Jul 14, 2008
Depends on your needs...

I just spent a lot of time researching a Dual Band N router (useless for iPhone purposes, but a bit faster for my laptop).

I eventually got a Linksys Simultaneous Dual Band N router - now on sale for $129 at Staples

But if you just need a/b/g wireless for iPhone access, pretty much anyone should do, and you can spend less than $50

redneck47441

Bronze
Jun 3, 2009
Why do you mean it's useless for your iPhone needs are you saying it wouldn't allow your iPhone to use wifi from it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From my experience with cheap routers:

Avoid Belkin
Netgear is cool

And that's about all I have to offer. :) Seriously, though, my Netgear was pretty cheap and it's a real solid performer... no complaints. Fast with the iPhone, too.

Jul 14, 2008
Why do you mean it's useless for your iPhone needs are you saying it wouldn't allow your iPhone to use wifi from it?
What I meant is the N band is useless for the iPhone as neither the 3G nor the 3G have N band wifi. The Linksys dual N band router will work with your iPhone, but only over G band - so if you have no other device using N Band wi-fi you can save some money and go with a non-N router.

I agree with Psylichon, Netgear has served me well in the past too.

Good luck.

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
I was considering a wireless network with an iPhone 3Gs, my PC and a Linksys WRT54G2; with the cable modem wired into the Internet port of the router and Ethernet from the router to my PC. Does the iPhone need a special access point to be networked with the PC and Linksys router?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to all of this and will be a new iPhone 3Gs owner in a couple months.

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I was considering a wireless network with an iPhone 3Gs, my PC and a Linksys WRT54G2; with the cable modem wired into the Internet port of the router and Ethernet from the router to my PC. Does the iPhone need a special access point to be networked with the PC and Linksys router?

Sorry, I'm a newbie to all of this and will be a new iPhone 3Gs owner in a couple months.
Depends on how you have the router set up. If you have no security set up on the router, the iPhone should find it and connect right away. I have a WRT54G with one PC on Ethernet and 3 laptops, 2 Touch's, 2 iPhone's and a Wii connected wirelessly with WAP-TKIP and MAC filtering security. This means that even if you have my 26 digit security code, the MAC filter will not let you in unless your MAC address is on the router's approved connection list.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I forked over a little extra cash and got the Apple Airport Extreme. It was well worth it.

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Bubba for straightening that out for me. :eek:k:eek:k I thought maybe there was an additional piece of hardware needed to make the connection.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I've always had good luck and good prices with d-link.

I run a d-link n for eveyone in my house but open up my actiontech dsl modem wireless-g to the iPhone so it doesn't slow down the -n network for everyone else.