What would be your favorite HACK of the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

miguel446

May 9, 2007
I'd like to be able to:
Open my garage
Unlock my car door
control my tv/cable/dvd
control my wireless computer functions
Open the gate to my complex
Anything else that currently requires a fob or controller to function

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
How about a remote feature like the movie Click?
haha right on brotha... let's see, for starters, i'll fast forward to payday then fast forward to iPhone's launch... oh wait that would impossible because the iPhone hasn't been released yet... crap.

OK, so i guess it's time fire up that delorian and surf the circuits of time...

olafene

May 22, 2007
Arizona
Remote control software for tv, audio, etc.

So this would require IR capabilities, which I don't remember it being a feature, but it would be cool if there could be control of your tv and stuff like any other remote. I mean, you have this new shiny (and expensive) iPhone with you probably all the time, how about some more control? :cool:

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2006/12/nintendo-wii-controlled-smarthome.html

This dude designed this system for the Wii but it's also web based—since the iPhone has wifi (and to a lesser control extent bluetooth), something like this could be adapted for the iPhone. Basically make a widget that sends the request to your webserver which does all the heavy lifting of translating those commands into IR for your components.

olafene

May 22, 2007
Arizona
Awesome!

http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2006/12/nintendo-wii-controlled-smarthome.html

This dude designed this system for the Wii but it's also web based—since the iPhone has wifi (and to a lesser control extent bluetooth), something like this could be adapted for the iPhone. Basically make a widget that sends the request to your webserver which does all the heavy lifting of translating those commands into IR for your components.
So, as you pull up to your gated community, you pop open your new iPhone, send a signal via web browser to your nice server at home and it opens the door for you. The only downside is: what is the latency on this versus popping in the code via the codebox? ;)

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
That automated home thing is totally do-able with a out of the box iPhone! The only problem for me would be fighting my family for the controls to the house