What would happen if......

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

white

Nov 21, 2007
I am in the UK and thinking of buying the iPhone.
What would happen if instead of registering the phone through iTunes and having to sign up to the 18 month contract, I put in an O2 pay as you go sim-card instead.

Would I get full functionality as O2 is the official network for the iPhone in the UK?

Or would Apple recognize the phone wasn't registered for the associated contract and disable some functionality when I connected it through iTunes?

Cheers,

Richard.:cool:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
That is pretty much what I have done with my AT&T SIM & iPhone. I just jailbroke the phone, stuck my SIM in and off I went. Didn't mess about with the iPhone plans or anything like that. I now have a spare SIM (the one that came with the iPhone) that I can use in case I mess up my existing SIM.

If it can work with the AT&T SIMs here, then I cannot see why it won't work with an O2 SIM out there. But you will need to jailbreak the phone first and NOT register it through iTunes.

I am in the UK and thinking of buying the iPhone.
What would happen if instead of registering the phone through iTunes and having to sign up to the 18 month contract, I put in an O2 pay as you go sim-card instead.

Would I get full functionality as O2 is the official network for the iPhone in the UK?

Or would Apple recognize the phone wasn't registered for the associated contract and disable some functionality when I connected it through iTunes?

Cheers,

Richard.:cool:

white

Nov 21, 2007
Thanks Ravman,

If I don't register it with iTunes will I still be able to transfer my songs though?

Richard.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Not registering it will not effect functionality at all. You just need to bypass the activation screen on the iPhone. You will need to downgrade the firmware & baseband to 1.1.1 before you can "hactivate" and jailbreak the phone.

There are no hacks out there right now that can bypass 1.1.2 activation.

Thanks Ravman,

If I don't register it with iTunes will I still be able to transfer my songs though?

Richard.