What would you like to see from iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Jan 15, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Aside the persistent rumors (and we've got threads for that), what is it that you'd like to see from the iPhone 6S. This is an 'S' year, so it's not likely we'll see anything in the way of a form factor change. That's not to take sizes off the table. So when you're chiming in on this thread, feel free offer you hopes and dreams for a [smaller, bigger] iPhone 6s.

As for what I expect. Here's my list:
    • A9 processor. S for speed?
    • Improved camera optics. It's one of the best things about the iPhone. The camera continues to dominate other phones (save maybe for the big Lumia, but that's well -- a Lumia). I'd also like to see them include OIS (optical image stabilization) on the 4.7" model.
    • Maybe a bump to the FaceTime camera. Selfies are here to stay and this seems like an area ripe for improvement. It would also help with the quality of FaceTime videos.
    • Double the RAM. I don't think it's a stretch to say it'll have 2GB of RAM. That's long overdue and will certainly be an improvement.
    • Upgrade base model storage (probably not, but they should). It's beyond ridiculous that Apple is still shipping their premier model with just 16GB of storage. I won't even go into that 8GB iPhone 5C that's available outside of the US.

It will be the same form factor. If I had to ask for one change, it would be a way to remove the bump, provided it does not have an adverse affect on the camera. That might be a nice perk for people who upgrade. "Oh, you've got that unsightly bump on the back of your iPhone. Must be a 6."

What are your hopes and dreams for the iPhone 6S (forum coming soon).

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't think they will? I do. It will be one of the selling points since the phone will likely look the same. I agree that it's ridiculous that they kept it at 16. The base model should have been boosted last year just like all the other models. That said, I'm going with the 128 GB 6s.

The next biggest thing it needs is double the RAM of the 6. The 6/6+ are underpowered with RAM. Safari pages and apps reload too much as a result.

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't think so. The base model or most inexpensive model will always be the biggest seller. If it had 8GB of storage, people would still buy it. I don't agree with Apple, but I don't think 16GB of storage is affecting sales. This year was so odd, pushing storage upgrades to the mid and upper tier phones. To answer my question, imagine paying an extra $100 for 16GB of additional storage (32GB model).

I wonder how much data Apple has on user storage and how many are experiencing pain points – unable to install OTA updates, unable to backup to their iCloud accounts (without upgrading), unable to download new apps due to hitting their storage capacity?

4. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I think 2 gigs of Ram is a must..., I also agree with Chris the the camera bump should go.

One thing though. I don't believe the plus is named right. I think it should be 6 Pluses. not 6(s) Plus. lol

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I would definitely agree the 16 GB base model needs to go (especially since iOS 9 will almost certainly take up more space than iOS 8) and I would like to see the other capacities reduced in price accordingly. I don't think that will happen just yet; Apple is probably not ready to give up the $100 premium on the 64 GB capacity just yet. What I think is more likely is that the 32 GB model will be re-introduced, at the price point of the current 16 GB model.

An OLED screen remains a dream of mine but I think that will likely not happen yet.

If they were to re-introduce a 4" iPhone (to meet a demand which obviously exists), I think they would handicap it in some way so lure customers to their bigger, more expensive models—kind of how they denied the 4.7" iPhone 6 OIS for no apparent obvious reason except to have one more selling point for the 5.5" 6 Plus.

I also want another free album, this time perhaps from OK Go. And bring back my damn 12 Days of Christmas. :D

(Edited for clarity --Rafagon)

#5 Rafagon, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What gets me is, according to Apple, the 16 gb model is their best seller because of the storage capacity of 16 gb. Surely they know it's price. Bumping the base up to 32 gb is not going to affect sales of the base model, as long as the price is the same. It could, however, affect the sales of the 64 gb model. Many who bought the 64 gb phone would have bought the 32 gb had it been offered.
    I would like to see separate toggles for the various animations. Other than that, what Chris said.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

7. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

My wish\dream list...

- increase RAM. More RAM is always good, although you have to keep the heat to a minimum
    - iPhone 6: offer better\bigger (or should I say larger?) battery life. The 6 Plus is brilliant as it is
    - create all new iPhone's with minimum 32GB (64GB is not for everyone)
    - add\change gestures. Give use gestures like BlackBerry, i.e. less of pressing the home button to access other apps
    - while in an email, allow one to swipe right, and then scroll up\down to the next email (gestures)
    - more colour choices. Women love colours, no?
    - my second BIGGEST request (besides gestures), give ALL iOS' a transparent bottom bar! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. And no, I'm not jail braking just for that :(

8. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

I would like to see vast improvement on the native apps. Like how are we still not able to add groups in our contacts app without having to go in our computers to make them?

How about the photos app?? I have so much folders of pictures, there must be a better way to organize them in our phones.

Sent from my iPhone

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You bring up a good point. Everyone I've talked to and in my review, I push the 64GB as the best value in the line-up. I think 32GB would be the sweet spot for most customers. I don't have any supporting data, but the recent move to streaming music services must be impacting music ownership, specifically among younger people. I have 40GB of music on my computer. My nieces probably cap out at 6GB tops, if I were to guess.

10. CaptHowdy9

CaptHowdy9 New Member

Would LOVE to be able to change the color of text bubbles in the messages without having to download an app to do it.
    The white font on green gets hard to see.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just curious. Are you a The Exorcist fan?

12. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I'll echo the bump to the A9, 2gbs of RAM and making 32gb the base storage amount. I don't mind the camera bump as the phone is in a case and that compensates for the bump. I would change the name to match the iPad line and call the Plus the Air. Other than that the hardware is great and I'm not sure if I would feel the need to upgrade to the "s" model this year.

I dabbled in Android this year as my son broke his 4s, so I gave my daughter my 5s and my son got her 5c and I needed a phone while waiting on the 6 to be released. I had the LG G3, the S5 and the Xperia Z3. All were good phones but each was missing something, nothing to do with Android per se, as I find it a great OS, but each irked me in some way. When Apple announced the new larger screens, I knew I the 6+ was my next phone.

~S

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I want a black iPhone 6s Plus with all that stuff y'all are talkin' 'bout.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422567196.753892.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That looks pretty awesome. Then again, I have a case on mine, so I rarely see the back.

15. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

That would be my first iPhone without a case. That looks GOOD!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I saw those black mockups a few days ago. I think the reason Apple doesn't make a plain black version is scuffing. There is silver aluminum under the anodized black coating and the color difference makes the scuffs pretty apparent. The problem with scuffing on the black iPhone 5 was pretty bad for those who didn't use cases and baby their phones, which was a significant amount of people. Of course, people complained about scuffgate endlessly, so Apple's solution was to ditch the color altogether. I like black as well, but if they can't make that, I wish they would just make a silver phone with a black front. I'm not a fan of space grey, but I prefer the black front.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm like Chris. I'll have a case on mine anyway. And like you, I really just want the black front.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

18. Sludge

Sludge Member
    Bronze

I am curios to see if they somehow bring the pressure technology that they are adding to the watch into the 6s. Perhaps no more home button and almost full frontal screen real estate?

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Doubtful. The home button is also used for Touch ID and it wouldn't work as well on the back or side.

20. Sludge

Sludge Member
    Bronze

Very true and a good point as well. Would be nice though.