What you cannot do with iPad

AmandaKess

Bronze
Feb 14, 2013
I read an article on some tech blog that was comparing tablets to microwaves and Desktops to standard ovens and I thought it was a great analogy. Sure a tablet is great at doing lots of things quick and easily, but for a lot of higher functions a desktop will always be necessary. I don't think one hurts the existence of the other, they serve similar, but distinctly different purposes IMHO.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Excellent analogy, tablets are very good for most uses but the desktop, with its more versatile platform, will always be needed for those things a tablet cannot do.

By the way, I noticed that you joined the forum just today, Welcome and Enjoy. You will find that the people here are far and away the most helpful forum group for anything "i" related.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
A curmudgeon you may be but most of us have figured out you are really a "Putty Tat" (sorry, the forum wouldn't let me use the other word) under it all even on those occasions when we don't "Get it". Don't ever change, this place just wouldn't be the same without our resident curmudgeon.

Getting off of my soapbox now. Bye Y'all.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
A curmudgeon you may be but most of us have figured out you are really a "Putty Tat" (sorry, the forum wouldn't let me use the other word) under it all even on those occasions when we don't "Get it". Don't ever change, this place just wouldn't be the same without our resident curmudgeon.

Getting off of my soapbox now. Bye Y'all.
That would bring a tear to my eye if I hadn't had my lachrymal glands removed in preparing for curmudgeonhood.

AmandaKess

Bronze
Feb 14, 2013
Excellent analogy, tablets are very good for most uses but the desktop, with its more versatile platform, will always be needed for those things a tablet cannot do.

By the way, I noticed that you joined the forum just today, Welcome and Enjoy. You will find that the people here are far and away the most helpful forum group for anything "i" related.
Thank you very much for the welcome. I've enjoyed my stay so far.

Jersep

Feb 20, 2013
I work on airlines businesss so I have to travel lot and still doing some office work during my trips, I have to bring my laptop on every trip because there is many things that my iPad could not do for example working on my microsoft office documents, fully control my outlook account etc.

I think that the era where iPad will fully replace the laptop "big brother" still far away.

Jersep
Sent using iCafe app

iNotes4You

Bronze
Dec 8, 2012
GERMANY
iNotes4You.com
I work on airlines businesss so I have to travel lot and still doing some office work during my trips, I have to bring my laptop on every trip because there is many things that my iPad could not do for example working on my microsoft office documents, fully control my outlook account etc.

I think that the era where iPad will fully replace the laptop "big brother" still far away.

Jersep
Sent using iCafe app
Agree. It's a question of time. As long as the software is embryonic further hardware features of the iPad won't solve the problem. Another question is Apple's iOS which has some lacks regarding the file system. Apple has to bridge this gap with iOS 7, otherwise I think more and more customers will move to W8 or Android.

lemoon

Bronze
Oct 28, 2010
Photoshop and financialsoftware, When I want to edit my businesss photos or do financial budget.
Edit/Compress PDF files or convert PDF files
So I got some PDF tools such as Enolsoft can only work on my Mac. ...