Whatever Happened To .Mac Push Email

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I remember way back in January when Steve Job's introduced the iPhone. He explained that .mac would also offer push email for the iPhone. What happened to that? I haven't heard anything about it since January..

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I remember way back in January when Steve Job's introduced the iPhone. He explained that .mac would also offer push email for the iPhone. What happened to that? I haven't heard anything about it since January..

My .mac account pushes mail to my iPhone just fine...is yours not functioning properly?

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
.mac is not push mail. The phone pulls emails every 15 minutes,30 minutes, however you set it.
True, but pull with a sufficiently short interval is functionally equivalent to push. Personally, I can live with email that's 15 minutes old, although one could argue that the iPhone should have 5 or even 1 minute options. But those may have been omitted to limit data traffic on AT&T's network.

section8joe

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
True, but pull with a sufficiently short interval is functionally equivalent to push. Personally, I can live with email that's 15 minutes old, although one could argue that the iPhone should have 5 or even 1 minute options. But those may have been omitted to limit data traffic on AT&T's network.
if your email pulls every minute your iPhone battery wont last very long. I'd also like a way way louder email alert tone. I can never hear mine when it goes off.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I thought IMAP was push? Am I misinformed? that's how the yahoo works. Did I miss something?
OP is speaking of .mac mail. Yes, IMAP is push, but right now Yahoo! is the only true push option for the iPhone. I think that's odd that Apple wouldn't push their own client and instead push Yahoo!.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
OP is speaking of .mac mail. Yes, IMAP is push, but right now Yahoo! is the only true push option for the iPhone. I think that's odd that Apple wouldn't push their own client and instead push Yahoo!.
yes I know what the OP is referring too. My .mac email account IS IMAP. I have the IMAP settings and all. That's why I'm confused.

dutchtrumpet

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
IMAP is not push.

IMAP will support push email if the IMAP server supports the "idle" command.

.mac mail servers are IMAP with no "idle" command enabled. Therefore .mac does not support push email.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Really.... What do you have for your host name for incoming and outgoing servers?

ok..looking at the phone directly..

Incoming settings:

Use SSL is set to on
Authentication set to password
IMAP Path Prefix /
Server Port set to 993

Outgoing Settings:

Use SSL set to ON
Authentication set to Password
Server Port set to 587

this is on my iPhone. I get emails instantaniously. As soon as it hits the server, my MacBook dings then 1 second later my iPhone dings...explain that one :)

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
IMAP is not push.

IMAP will support push email if the IMAP server supports the "idle" command.

.mac mail servers are IMAP with no "idle" command enabled. Therefore .mac does not support push email.
this is a better explanation of IMAP--but please explain why my emails are instantaneous to my iPhone regardless of how long I have the phone to check?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
ok..looking at the phone directly..

Incoming settings:

Use SSL is set to on
Authentication set to password
IMAP Path Prefix /
Server Port set to 993

Outgoing Settings:

Use SSL set to ON
Authentication set to Password
Server Port set to 587

this is on my iPhone. I get emails instantaniously. As soon as it hits the server, my MacBook dings then 1 second later my iPhone dings...explain that one :)
So, I deleted my mac account on my phone, and set it up as an IMAP account. Didn't pick up as push. Re-added using the .mac setting on the first screen (set up as IMAP using other screen). Neither screen showed me a server port. But regardless, neither one worked as push.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
After doing so searching, I see that the Tiger form of Mail and .mac do not support the IDLE command; HOWEVER, in the up coming leopard version of Mail and .mac, it WILL be supporting the IDLE command.

EDIT: Looks like this is Leopard Server OSX