What's a better product Windows 7, or Darwin?

php111

Bronze
Jul 30, 2011
What's a better product better the different types of Darwin, and Windows 7?

Would all varies of Darwin be 32-bit versions?

Would Darwin be a free download?

Would I need hardware drivers if I do go the Darwin route?

Would Darwin be similar to Mac OS X?

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Windows 7 is okay compared to vista Darwin I believe is Mac os. Darwin is actually only a shell not an operating system. It all depends on your needs, preference, budget, and more. Linux and mac os are a lot more stable because their based on a solid file system that has been around for ages-unix

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
php, you really need to start researching these questions for yourself. A simple Google search would have returned what you're looking for.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
You're joking right?

What does this even have to do with the OP?
Thank you for asking.

In computer science, you do a lot of coding I'm sure you're aware of this. Computer science is also software, not necessarily hardware. Now, if code is on the net, then what i mean is what is the purpose of coders. Now, I know software companies do things differently, but I view as coders have to do something different. I'm in the same department as he is and that's just how I view it. I do understand that technology is alway evolving, but...

I just realized something, technology always evolves, but the code is always there. I guess that goes with the saying I'd there's a will there is a way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If we assume that your assertion "all code is on the Internet" is true (which is ridiculous), who do you think writes that code?

CS majors.

Have you even been to college?

And I still fail to see what this has to do with Darwin/Win7...

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
If we assume that your assertion "all code is on the Internet" is true (which is ridiculous), who do you think writes that code?

CS majors.

Have you even been to college?

And I still fail to see what this has to do with Darwin/Win7...
Yes it's written by other coders but since most cs majors don't write lines of code anymore they learn less. This tells me that the code was written by coders in the past so this still keeps my point and yes I have been to college and we haven't written a line of code since freshman year... Not that we don't know but in college we don't write code. When was the last you stepped in a college cs class?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I graduated in '09. I did at least 6 or 7 semesters worth of programming, and CS was my minor.

Yes, a lot of code has been written in the past... but there are tons and tons of new systems being designed all the time. You say, "technology always evolves, but the code is always there"... are you implying that the same code used 10 years ago is still running our technology today?

And if you don't program in your Computer Science classes, what the heck do you do?

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I graduated in '09. I did at least 6 or 7 semesters worth of programming, and CS was my minor.

Yes, a lot of code has been written in the past... but there are tons and tons of new systems being designed all the time. You say, "technology always evolves, but the code is always there"... are you implying that the same code used 10 years ago is still running our technology today?

And if you don't program in your Computer Science classes, what the heck do you do?
'twas the point of my post.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Wait... There's no way you did 6 or 7 semesters of programming if it was your minor. Besides, even if it was your major whatever you did was the worth. There's no numerical value for how much you program in a semester. It all depends on the professor...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Wait... There's no way you did 6 or 7 semesters of programming if it was your minor.
Um... Ok. I guess there's no point in a discussion if you don't believe what I tell you.

Besides, even if it was your major whatever you did was the worth.
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

There's no numerical value for how much you program in a semester. It all depends on the professor...
I might agree with your first sentence if you hadn't followed it by your second. Professors mean next to nothing. It all depends on YOU. If you've only been exposed to programming for three hours a week in an 8-month period (standard freshmen year), there's no way you're prepared enough to do it in the real world.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Um... Ok. I guess there's no point in a discussion if you don't believe what I tell you.

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

I might agree with your first sentence if you hadn't followed it by your second. Professors mean next to nothing. It all depends on YOU. If you've only been exposed to programming for three hours a week in an 8-month period (standard freshmen year), there's no way you're prepared enough to do it in the real world.
False. I had two hours of programming in php and I created a huge system. It depends a lot.

If you did six or seven semesters that means you should have more than enough credits for a bs. Unless you scattered the courses which in that case you can't count it like that. Something doesn't sound logical to me...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
"Huge system" eh? Sounds pretty awesome.

As for my CS minor... There were other, non-programing, CS classes required to get a major, which I did not want to take. Any other questions?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I don't really know much about this and I don't want to make things up, but Abel, most, if not all, my friends are CS majors and I can tell you that they almost always are required to write code and program. I've never even seen one of them fetch a code from the internet, if any were actually available. I can see how a person can minor in one thing for 6 semesters, because I'm actually doing the same thing and will probably graduate by reaching that amount of semesters, so I don't really understand why you were questioning a point so irrelevant from your initial discussion.

Believe me, buddy, I'm not against you and as I said, I'm a Political Science student who has nothing at all do do with CS, but I have friends who are graduating this year and I know for a fact that writing code is actually one of their hobbies, and "fetching code from the internet" just doesn't do it for a lot of people, nor is it a means that is ALWAYS there and non-changing.

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
I don't really know much about this and I don't want to make things up, but Abel, most, if not all, my friends are CS majors and I can tell you that they almost always are required to write code and program. I've never even seen one of them fetch a code from the internet, if any were actually available. I can see how a person can minor in one thing for 6 semesters, because I'm actually doing the same thing and will probably graduate by reaching that amount of semesters, so I don't really understand why you were questioning a point so irrelevant from your initial discussion.

Believe me, buddy, I'm not against you and as I said, I'm a Political Science student who has nothing at all do do with CS, but I have friends who are graduating this year and I know for a fact that writing code is actually one of their hobbies, and "fetching code from the internet" just doesn't do it for a lot of people, nor is it a means that is ALWAYS there and non-changing.
let me just clarify something. when i said that they don't write code, i didn't mean in general. i just meant in school. believe me, ALL programmars i know, code for themselves most of the time and would rather work on their code rather than the school code. so yes, they do code, but whatever code is taught in college is only elementary. the code that is used today is learned either by hands on, reading a book, or by a friend who knows the code.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Mr Computerfox, you're back peddling now. You're contradicting yourself about writing code in or out of school, what is the main point to your statement?

You've confused me.