What's happening with the returns?

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so does anybody know/or have an idea whats happening to all these faulty iPhones that people are returning? i'm assuming they will be sent back to Apple to be fixed, and sold as refurbished. any thoughts on this?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
If it's within 2 weeks of your purchase and the iPhone proves defective, you're entitled to a replacement. Some iPhones (like my first) have either a faulty PMU or at least a faulty battery level sensor. I swapped mine at an Apple store without any resistance, and AT&T stores will do the same. Working fine now.

After 2 weeks, it's Apple's option to repair or replace.

-K

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
If it's within 2 weeks of your purchase and the iPhone proves defective, you're entitled to a replacement. Some iPhones (like my first) have either a faulty PMU or at least a faulty battery level sensor. I swapped mine at an Apple store without any resistance, and AT&T stores will do the same. Working fine now.

After 2 weeks, it's Apple's option to repair or replace.

-K
thanks but doesn't answer my question at all

they are adding 3G radios to them and reshipping them as new

Seriously, I bet Apple will sell repair/reload/test and then sell them as new, not refurbs. I bet half the returns and exchanges had nothing wrong with them and half of those that did have problems would have been 'fixed' with the first update.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007

Seriously, I bet Apple will sell repair/reload/test and then sell them as new, not refurbs. I bet half the returns and exchanges had nothing wrong with them and half of those that did have problems would have been 'fixed' with the first update.
i was afraid of this, as i will soon be purchasing an iPhone, and can't imagine paying so much money for something that somebody else already test-drove (driven? haha) for almost 2 weeks. im wondering if they are still selling phones from the first batch or if new phones are being made and shipped out with fixed bugs and updates already

n_kat

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Oregon Coast
so does anybody know/or have an idea whats happening to all these faulty iPhones that people are returning? i'm assuming they will be sent back to Apple to be fixed, and sold as refurbished. any thoughts on this?
I work for a major technology company (not Apple). Apple is replacing defective iPhone right now with new phones because they don't have a pipeline for refurbished models yet. Most likely, once they get enough defectives back to begin refurbishing, they will begin replacing customer defective with refurbished models. This is exactly what my company does once we get enough customer defectives back to begin the refurbishing process.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
lol :)
Apple's policy is to classify anything open-box as a "refurb" and won't sell it as new. I would presume that this applies to iPhones as well, but I have no confirmation. Personally, I'd rest easy that any iPhone you buy will be factory-new, particularly this early in sales.

-K

lol :)

Apple's policy is to classify anything open-box as a "refurb" and won't sell it as new. I would presume that this applies to iPhones as well, but I have no confirmation. Personally, I'd rest easy that any iPhone you buy will be factory-new, particularly this early in sales.

-K
Thanks for setting me straight, I was not familiar with Apple's policy. The more I think about it, I agree with the previous poster who said they will probably send those out if you have to have yours replaced for some reason. That makes a lot of sense. I was out baking in the 95 degree weather for an hour before I wrote my first post in this forum so it might have affected my thinking on the whole "resending as new" idea.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
anybody know if new phones are continuously being made and sold to date, or are they still going through the very first batch that was made since iDay? i have no idea how many units were made, and how many have been sold