What's likely to be available following the Feb. SDK availability?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
How might this change the potential functional landscape of our iPhones?
Ideally, I'd hope it'd offer what for example Handango offers Windows mobile devices.....but then I think that'd be a concern for Apple's development of iPhone V2.0.?
thanks!

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
there's no reason to expect much. Apple has shown over and over that they do not seem to care much for this whole nodding thing. Web apps are USELESS. Don't get your hopes up, that's all.

I'm fine with I've got and plan on keeping 1.0.2 for some time...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I like some of the web apps. I use them all the time.

I'm looking forward to the SDK. Everyone says that there won't be anything worth downloading, but I'd like to see.

It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes.

- John

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
hmmm maybe I was quick to say "useless"

Apparently others are using these apps. Maybe the SDK will benefit some.. I sure hope so...
My daughter and I play the games on Jirbo all the time. How dare you say they are useless!
:)

Seriously though, I have found a few useful things on there that are now in my favs.

Better than nothing (shrug).

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
there's no reason to expect much. Apple has shown over and over that they do not seem to care much for this whole nodding thing. Web apps are USELESS. Don't get your hopes up, that's all.

I'm fine with I've got and plan on keeping 1.0.2 for some time...
release of an SDK useless? ojsakiller you know better than that...i hope...release of an SDK can bring soooo much more to the table just look at what everyone has done without it...and then tell me not to expect much

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
release of an SDK useless? ojsakiller you know better than that...i hope...release of an SDK can bring soooo much more to the table just look at what everyone has done without it...and then tell me not to expect much
I know I know I was wrong. Just a little frustrated that's all. I'm sure there will be great things coming

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hey there! Lay off on OJ. He was just a bit early to jump.

I definitely expect something from the SDK. They can't just release one application a year, you know.

- John

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I figure allowing developers to go at it, kind of makes it clearer what iPhone V2'll have: things developers can't produce: 3G....better camera....flash....video recorder.....not sure what else, cept, with any of that they BETTER have a butt-kickin battery.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I figure allowing developers to go at it, kind of makes it clearer what iPhone V2'll have: things developers can't produce: 3G....better camera....flash....video recorder.....not sure what else, cept, with any of that they BETTER have a butt-kickin battery.
I think video recording can be achieved via software. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- John

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I would like to see an ebook reader that will read everything from DRM Palm Doc files to MS Lit files, but I am sure that's a shot in the dark. I would also like to see an IM app based on SMS like the OZ clients for Windows Mobile. Isn't that funny, all the things I want are already out there for Windows Mobile, its the kind of thing that keeps me saying that the SDK is the last chance for my iPhone, as much as I like it, I want to see some usefull apps, those are the two that I relay on the most.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
My prediction is that Apple will make a grandiose announcement about the iPhone V2.0 before the SDK release and that it will contain non
3rd party developmental features (such as 3G) plus others such as MMS and cut and paste etc.....to cut the legs from under the developers intent on releasing similar products.
They are of course very aware of public demand and competitor releases and V2 no doubt will counteract that...and features'l be announced before presentation of SDK.
Obvious, I know!

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I would like to see an ebook reader that will read everything from DRM Palm Doc files to MS Lit files, but I am sure that's a shot in the dark. I would also like to see an IM app based on SMS like the OZ clients for Windows Mobile. Isn't that funny, all the things I want are already out there for Windows Mobile, its the kind of thing that keeps me saying that the SDK is the last chance for my iPhone, as much as I like it, I want to see some usefull apps, those are the two that I relay on the most.
Thats the damn thing: Ive gone back to windows (tilt) and there's just no way! Can't deal with that OS/interface after this device.
So, I depend on the competitive saavy of Job's et al!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm hoping for some 3rd party apps that augment or replace those existing on the stock iPhone. Seems from memory that's how it went for Windows Mobile... photo contacts/browser/task managers came first.... all the stuff that MS didn't get right.

If Apple really releases all hooks to hardware on the phone, I'm thinking a REAL camera app with higher refresh rates (smaller view window will suffice, right?) level/color balance, digital zoom, editing, enhanced file management, VIDEO, etc... would really be on the mark and sell like hotcakes.

So would an MMS client or even a proper SMS client. Though I predict Apple will cover that territory with free updates before they let 3rd parties show them up. Just my 2 cents...

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Apple could fix all the issues that people have with the phone from one trip to this website. Most issues are serious ones, there are a few odd ball ones but, do you think if Apple actually offered all the fixes, like mms,better sms, camcorder function, cut/paste, a real IM client, and so one and so forth, would this stop people from wanting more? No, no matter how much Apple would give us we would still find something wrong or something more we'd want. The same goes for WinMo, there are tons of third party apps, and people still complain and want more. No phone will ever be perfect or the device to usher in a new era of computing till we get some made up piece of technology that makes us coffee and replaces the need to have a women/man in our lives.

We can only hope at this point for a company to step up and at least admit, hey this gadget isn't perfect but we'll try and give you a few things you've all asked for. I say that and the more I think about it, there is more of a chance of monkey's flying from an orafice that the sun doesn't shine upon.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well what I'm saying is that it would look bad on Apple and its "ingenuity" if the inital flood of 3rd party apps are mostly "fixes." If I were them, I'd focus on the major software gripes that are out there. We all know what they are. Not "features" but "make it as good as a free Samsung phone" stuff.

But, like you, I wouldn't be surprised to see stinky monkeys first.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
True, but the question is NOT whether or not an SDK will bring more to the table, the question is whether or not Apple will allow those apps programmed with the SDK to ever MAKE it to the table in the first place.

I am in agreement that Apple will be VERY restrictive with what apps they allow to make it to the iPhone. You think they're going to allow apps like Customize and SummerBoard? Think again. Apple will control which apps make it to the phone, I am sure, via iTunes. Programs that change the look and feel of the phone will never make it on board.

For those types of appls, I am sure that hacking/modding will still be a reality.

Rumpelgeist