What's Makin' you keep your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think to myself, what do I use my smartphone for.... phone calls, real time PIM and email, and applications I can use anywhere (regardless of whether I have an internet connection). None of which it does that great. Microphone has low volume, there is no good push email solution, and the PIM is certainly not real time (I mean wirelessly sync'd).

I don't use it for music since I can't really listen to it in my car with an RF modulator (there is not one made for the iPhone) and I show pictures only sometimes...

So, evey moring I wake up and look at my Treo750 sitting on the charger, but I haven't moved back. Why? A few reasons...

1) You can't beat the form factor
2) I do love html embedded emails
3) The screen is beautiful
4) Most importantly for me... battery life is far superior

But every day I do look at my Treo and wonder if Apple will fix the iPhone shortcommings... and every day I think to myself cellular/email life was much easier when I had my Treo... It may not be long until the mystique of the iPhone wears off and I go back to my old work-horse.

Just my 2 cents.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Me personally, I did a lot of research on the phone before I went out and bought it. It does everything that I was looking for:

1. Can check multiple E-mails without having to goto some webpage all the time.
2. MP3/MP4 player with video.
3. LOVE the Maps application since I do travel for businesss and you can locate hotels, food, movies and the whatnot in youre area VERY easily.
4. Love the Full blown HTML instead of Brew related crap.
5. It is a phone built around Software instead of Hardware which makes the phone Full of future expansions/Applications instead of having to buy a new phone anytime soon.
6. Camera and screen resolution was a bonus.. Looks Extremely sharp.

But what It really came down to is it does what i was looking for. Anything else they can do to it to make it better would be a bonus to me.. like Right click functionality...*hint, hint, hint* *glares at Apple*.

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
^ All of the above....

I love the Ipod/phone functionality.
I love the browser (Safari)
I love the navigation, SMS, etc.

There are several things i wish Apple addresses.
And if they do, WOW iPhone = Best phone (personal opinion)

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
im just waiting for a significant update, and honestly if theres no update from here to october....i will sell my iPhone.

you probably asking why?.....there are too many phones that do more than the iPhone that have open platforms...tons of 3rd party apps, have removable batteries, 3g, custom ringtones, data transferable bluetooth or IR and are also super cutomisable and much more...so why stick with just a pretty iPhone.?

until Apple proves me wrong.....this is my plan.

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
Apple really wanted to be in control of there product,
So maybe thats why we cant do much with it. (just my 2cents)

But who knows, i hope the updates to come are good!

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
im just waiting for a significant update, and honestly if theres no update from here to october....i will sell my iPhone.
I am waiting a little longer, and right now what is keeping me is that phone is cool, does an OK job in the SLC, Utah area at being a phone, the videos were great on my last trip, and maps is very nice. A termination fee and then buying a new phone on a new carrier will get pricey. So lets see where it goes. I want to give it a chance since it is a new phone and there is hope for new functionality.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Question.... Did anyone that is unhappy with the phone actually do any research on the phone before buying it? or just jump in head first blind? Not trying to bash anyone, but If your going to fork out 500-600 dollars.. I would think people would try to see if the phone actually fit their needs instead of buying it then complaining that it doesn't fit their needs and demand that someone make it do what THEY want it to do. Kinda like buying a Farrari then complaing that it doesn't do very well offroad, it sits to low to the ground and wont do 180MPH in reverse.. Just my thoughts..

mblind

Jul 13, 2007
Apple needs to add a Volume fix and MMS.. I am giving them until Oct as well.. If these items aren't addressed it back to a Blackberry.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Never thought about getting rid of my iPhone, just thought about when the next one will be released.

No other phone on the market comes close to offering the features that I want in one package. I have been waiting for a device like this for years and despite its shortcomings, it is more than what I expected. The only thing that comes close is having a blackberry and a laptop on hand at all times.

I am convinced the major update will be released alongside leopard later this year and it will address most of the issues people constantly whine about on these forums.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Apple really wanted to be in control of there product,
So maybe thats why we cant do much with it. (just my 2cents)

But who knows, i hope the updates to come are good!

i see what you are saying, i wonder how many customers Apple and ATT are going to loose just because we cant do much with it.:sick:

and honest to god, if Apple does not release any significant updates for the iPhone but includes them on the second gen iPhone ....i will go to cali and form the biggest group of protestors in front of Apple that steve will have to come outside and appologise to all of us for wasting our money on his stupid device.:mad:

or maybe not.....but i'll still be furious though....:laugh2:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
you probably asking why?.....there are too many phones that do more than the iPhone that have open platforms...tons of 3rd party apps, have removable batteries, 3g, custom ringtones, data transferable bluetooth or IR and are also super cutomisable and much more...so why stick with just a pretty iPhone.?

until Apple proves me wrong.....this is my plan.
Yeah, the internet is so useful on a 3G phone with that crappy IE browser... Been there done that.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, the internet is so useful on a 3G phone with that crappy IE browser... Been there done that.

i had a treo before the iPhone...it was faster on the internet and had full html aswell but of course not as beatifull as the iPhone...but it did let me download videos, apps, images, mp3's etc just by tapping tapping the link. it also let send data over bluetooth, copy and paste, savable notes with reminders,....is that revolutionary or what!:laugh2:

iPhone beats any other phone's UI by far....but im talking about functionality...i LOVE the iPhone ...but man i need these functionalities so bad.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
i'm keeping my iPhone because it's the shi*

i use it every single day and its functions (mainly maps) always come in handy.

if Apple keeps making phones forever, i'll probably never own another phone by anyone else again.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The OP mentioned the Treo 750. My opinion of the iPhone is that it is doing for the "smartphone" industry what the Treo 600 did 4-5 years ago - changing it for the better. The Treo 600 is arguably the best Treo made to date simply because of it's reliability and stability. The 650 was prettier and a little more capable, but it was ridiculously unstable (I had three). The 700 was nearly as bad for a LOT of people. The 600 defined what a good form factor should be for the time. Now, the iPhone refines that form factor and has made tremendous improvements in both functionality and stability. It's not perfect, but it's design opens many doors for software improvements/features, and hopefully gives us a picture of the near future of cell tech. That's why I'm keeping mine. It does nearly everything I want. All of what it doesn't do could be "unlocked" via software updates (and there are very few of those things that I "need"). What it does, it does better than any other converged device I've owned to date. Definitely a winner for me.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Question.... Did anyone that is unhappy with the phone actually do any research on the phone before buying it? or just jump in head first blind? Not trying to bash anyone, but If your going to fork out 500-600 dollars.. I would think people would try to see if the phone actually fit their needs instead of buying it then complaining that it doesn't fit their needs and demand that someone make it do what THEY want it to do.
I certainly did, but here is the problem. Companies don't advertise what it does not do. Simple example, did anyone know you could not send an text to multiple people? I didn't granted I did not do a lot of texting before or after this purchasing. Or how about the volume issues that many are experiencing? I did not see anything anywhere that the receiver and ring volume were low. When they came out the ATT store would not let you interact with the demo device until you turn in line came. Since I did not get in line and came back that evening after all were sold (including the demo models) I did not get to interact with it before the purchase. From the articles that were written up you can also notice that many were not completely concrete and many had disclaimers, such as the edge network being slow but tolerable and in some markets it will be decent and peppy (david pogue wrote that I believe). I asked friends that had similar devices that were on edge and they said it was fine for them, so that was that. Or how about the fully functional browser? Well there is a discrepancy on how you define it. To see Steve say this is no trimmed down internet experience, this is the real deal, to later find out there is no flash or java. To many (myself included) a real internet experience has these standards by default.

Now not all of what I put above applies to me. Overall I am satisfied with the device and like I said will see where it goes. They have time, they own the code, the next steps will be theirs. For some that did do the homework the answers were not always presented in an obvious manner, which as an early adopter can hurt. A person buying now can make a far more educated purchase then us first day'ers.