What's Makin' you keep your iPhone?

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Good question!

Boils down to two things for me: Safari and video play. They are both amazing on the iPhone.

All other functions that I care about are not up to par with other smart phones I've used. I hope they get better.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Question.... Did anyone that is unhappy with the phone actually do any research on the phone before buying it? or just jump in head first blind? Not trying to bash anyone, but If your going to fork out 500-600 dollars.. I would think people would try to see if the phone actually fit their needs instead of buying it then complaining that it doesn't fit their needs and demand that someone make it do what THEY want it to do. Kinda like buying a Farrari then complaing that it doesn't do very well offroad, it sits to low to the ground and wont do 180MPH in reverse.. Just my thoughts..
You have a point to a degree, but I see my complaints more like buying a BMW then finding our that, while it has cruise control, it doesn't have a descelerate function, and although it has Bluetooth, it can only receive calls but not initiate them. In other words, some features have become so standardized that you cannot IMAGINE them to be implemented in such a lacking fashion.

Examples: Can't copy and paste, can't save images from emails, can't sync notes to outlook, can't send files via Bluetooth and many many more. I could not have imagined that a smart phone that is made by Apple in 2007 and costs $600 would not have these features given that I know that it has Bluetooth, outlook integration, a camera and photo album, etc.

No, I did not check all these details about existing features for the same reason I would not check to see if the BMW can descelerate while in cruise control or can make outgoing calls via bluetooth. Of course it does!

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
i keep it partially cause my old phone sucked so much the center button fell off (it was a moto slvr l7) and the iTunes on it was too slow. also because i wouldn't know what to do with 500 $$$ anyways. but mostly cause i use every feature of this wonderful thing, except stocks, i occasionally look at Apple/att's but thats it.

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I did do lots of research on the phone prior to buying it. Like other posters did say, they info focuses on what the iPhone does, not what it does not do. I was shocked to find out that a new smartphone did not have reliable push email. I was shocked that a new revolutionary smartphone did not have some form of wireless sync.

For something to be revolutionary, it should have all of what is out there already and even more.

Lot's of hype... not so much delivery.
Again... form factor and battery life are awesome. Maps wiget is awesome. It is in dire need of wireless exchange sync.

Jon

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Well, for starters, it's beautiful.
I've had Treos for many years.
4 years ago, I was watching movies (the 5 Star Wars in those days, and all the Star Treks) on my 600, having my own homemade ringtones, then watching TV on my 650. But everything was so small- and so shaky for the TV part. I had voice-dialing, but it couldn't understand me 50% of the time. I had games, but only my 8 year-old played them once a month.
Then, there was the "I'm-going-into-an-infinite-loop-now" game that the Treo was playing with me all the time, crashing over and over, and losing info, contacts, serial numbers, etc

The iPhone is stable and does everything it's supposed to do flawlessly. It will do a lot more eventually. Safari is great. Except for my car, I'm always on wifi, so speed isn't a factor. I love the fact it will pick up on any wifi network available. It allows me to access to sites the Treo was unable to access, like my bank's website and Apple's online store, where I can spend even more money. The camera is a lot better than the Treo's. Sound is wonderful with earphones on or connected to my car's stereo or my bathroom's speakers. Try a phone call with both earphones on instead of Bluetooth. Its battery life has been great and I can recharge anywhere I go, work or car. The best iPod ever.

And, did I mention it is more beautiful than any phone/iPod I've ever seen?(The tiny Blackberry screen can't possibly please those of us who work a 30-inch screen)

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
from most to least important:

1) Great phone (sound, call quality, responsiveness, ease of use... except for AT&T's dropped calls - I don't know what they are talking about when they say fewest dropped calls nationwide!). I know the speaker phone sound level makes it useless but I rarely use speaker phone.

2) Responsiveness and stability. The OS is very fast espceially when compared to Symbian and Windows Mobile. It never crashed with me.

3) Screen size and resolution. I now see the big difference when I look a those 2.8" screen on other smartphones.

4) Safari. The best browser ever on a smartphone.

5) Google Maps. It is great and very easy to use.

6) Mail. It is fast and easy to use. Except for the inability to delete mass emails.

7) You Tube. It is great when you want to kill some time or lying in bed and can't sleep!

7) iPod. I don't use it much since I listen to music while running and I still use my nano for that purpose becasue I don't want to run with the iPhone strapped to my arm! But it is nice to have all your music and movies on you all the time.

8) SMS. This is where lots of improvement can be made such as abiblity to send messages to multiple addresses, support for MMS, ability to delete certain messages without the need to delete the whole conversation.

Bottom line: this is the most enjoyable smartphone I ever used. Using Apple products (like Mac PCs) is work with lots of fun compared to Windows products, it is only work without the fun!

-Bohs

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i don't need to carry my phone and ipod anymore
battery is awsome
the internet doesn't suck like every other phone
and its less money per month than my nextel
oh and for anyone who ever had nextel you know this... BETTER SERVICE

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
How can you go back to browsing the web on another phone? Can't!

It's like getting a 30" screen. Everything else seems like a cheap immitation afterwards.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
I've had my iPhone 1 week and 1 day. Would have loved to have it sooner (great piece of technology) .... but I did something rather goofy I guess.

I read quite a few messages on this and other boards for about 3-4 weeks and found out most of the pluses and minuses of this device before I plunked down $600+. Didn't want to assume anything just because "my sisters 3 year old Nokia will send pics with IM's for goodness sakes"

Quite happy with my purchase. Battery life is fine, volume is fine. Now I sit back and wait for Apple to improve this product. If they don't ..... I still have a great phone/iPod/email/Safari, etc that fit my needs very nicely.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Now that school is back in session, I'm finding that the email feature is the my favorite. Right now I trying the Syncronica Mobile Gateway software with my Exchange mail from school, so I always get my emails instantly. Always in the past, I had to wait until planning to check my emails, but now I can pick them up on the fly while walking the classroom or during my lunch break. It's nice to be connected.:laugh2:

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I have had my iPhone since launch and love it. I have grown tired waiting on mms, and a volume update. Just purchased a nokia n95:laugh2: should be here early next week. I wont be getting rid of the iPhone as i love it too much. Guess i will just have two convergance devices..lol kinda defeats the purpose but oh well. Plus i am single and have a family plan so the extra line is only 9 bucks minus the added data i will probably get for the nokia also...I have a cell phone sickness:p

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
It's been more than 14 days since I bought it....

Seriously though, I finally get email and internet on my phone! Plus I've never had video iPod before. I bought the iPod before video (iPod Photo). I was pissed when video came out. Maps have come in real handy.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Good question!

Boils down to two things for me: Safari and video play. They are both amazing on the iPhone.

All other functions that I care about are not up to par with other smart phones I've used. I hope they get better.
yep yep! I love those 2 features :) and the Ipod.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I didn't buy mine on iDay, I actually waited about a month to see how everything went. I actually read ALOT of post on here before buying mine. I figured if I was going to drop that much money on a phone I was going to research everything before doing it. You have to admit that we've gone over a lot of different issues and problems, work arounds, Likes, dislikes and what it will work with and not. So me personally I knew what I was getting into before I bought mine. Being a person who builds their own computers, I tend to wait and read reviews/comments from the everyday people before buying the next great piece of electronic or part that may cost you 600 bucks.
I personally have been extremely satisfied with my iPhone and love it.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Maps + Traffic came in very handy over my last weekend out to Long Beach. The color coding on the freeways was actually correct!

Safari in the office, we have a firewall set, and I can't visit this site unless it's from my iPhone :p

NES + Pacman. I kid you not, every gadget I own from my iPhone down to my watch has Pacman installed. Yeah, I don't play my watch version anymore tho, lol. (WristPDA palmOS 4.1 + Pacman.pdb)

BeeJive. This was freaking awesome, I was able to chat with friends on the ride to Long Beach last week.

Camera + Email. I'm still blown away by this, being able to send a picture that actually looks good from your phone to a friend lickety-split... This brings blogging to a whole new level imho.

Aug 9, 2007
From three devices to one.

I've had an old canon 2MP camera for years. I've had a nano and Ipod video since they came out. When the blackberry pearl came out, I finally took the plunge into the blackberry world. (Upgraded from a Razr).
For a long time, I wondered, "Why can't I have one device for listening to mp3's, making phone calls, and taking decent pictures (I've got an 8MP Canon DSLR for real photography). That lack of an all-in-one device is what kept me out of the blackberry and ipod camps for so long. (Until the irresistible Nano was released). I watched the upcoming Rockr release with interest, but we all know how that turned out.
So, it was with much anticipation that I waited for the early verdict on the iPhone to come in. I read, asked questions, and played with iPhones at the Apple store before finally taking the plunge. (It helped that I recently got married, and my wife and her entire family were AT&T customers). finally, I could go to the gym, listen to my iTunes, and still get a call without carrying another device. I could snap pics and email them, and I could look things up on the web on a whim. (I rarely used the blackberry psuedo-browser). I'll admit, email setup on the blackberry was much easier, but once I set up a Gmail account and forwarded both work and home email addresses to it, iPhone email is simple as can be. Plus, admit it, that commercial where the guy is watching Pirates of the Caribbean, looks up a sushi restaurant, and touches the number to make reservations is just cool!