What's Nokia Up To? *Suspicious*

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-nokia-close-to-announcing-something-big/

"Nokia (NYSE: NOK) is apparently close to announcing something really, really big. The announcement is set to be made in Barcelona at Nokia World over the next few hours (early morning on Tuesday Barcelona time). To fuel the anticipation, the company has even launched a countdown to the moment.

Robert Scoble wrote today: “When we got here a Nokia executive met me and bragged that the Internet has no clue what they will announce this week. I asked ‘what about the touch screen cell phone that I’ve seen rumors about?’ He said that no one had gotten it right yet...He told me this is one of the only times he can remember when a big announcement has not leaked. He said that even internally only a handful of people have seen the new device they’ll be announcing on Wednesday.” Additionally, Reuters is reporting that Nokia is expected to bolster its offering of high-end phones and will outline its push into Internet services.

It underscores the battle for the smartphone businesss, and this will be Nokia’s big push against Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) and RIM (NSDQ: RIMM). As Scoble says, “This is the week when Nokia either keeps its seat at the cell-phone-thought-leadership table or it will give up its spot to Apple and RIM alone.” The problem that Nokia must solve is the issue of usability. For a long time, Nokia has been the leadership in engineering, by making high-end phones that work well, but it’s struggled to make it a service that’s easy to use. Look for this as part of the announcement...if Nokia wants to gain a big share of the smartphone businesss going forward, it will have to nail this. "

http://events.nokia.com/countdown/

What do you all think it could be?

Another iPhone Killer? yes RIGHT! :p

(actually I've always liked my nokia phones, best of luck to'em) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Nokia has been dormant for a LONG time. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see something very sexy from them. Do they still have the pull to make something that can beat the iPhone? I kind of doubt it, but only time will tell...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Do they still have the pull to make something that can beat the iPhone? I kind of doubt it,
I agree man, and some little thing deep down inside me hopes I'm wrong. :laugh2:

I think a little push may do Apple some good. You know what I mean? :cool:

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I hope they come out with an iPhone killer. They REALLY need some competition.

BillyW1952

Mar 13, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Nokia has been dormant for a LONG time. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see something very sexy from them. Do they still have the pull to make something that can beat the iPhone? I kind of doubt it, but only time will tell...
This makes me think of my first cell phone. It was a Nokia. They sure have to come a long way to catch up from this...:)

Hope I got this right.

Attachments

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
I think a little push may do Apple some good. You know what I mean? :cool:
I completely agree. What if Nokia comes out with a high resolution touch screen phone that has cut-and-paste, MMS, supports flash and lets you load music and movies without iTunes? Hmmm. Might be just the phone...

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I'm hoping Nokia will release some of the home - phone interface stuff they've been showing off for years. You know, come home and your pictures zap onto your home computer, show up on your home theatre system, and you can use your phone as a remote or game controller or whatever.

Basically, someone's going to get smart one day and integrate the phone, an HP Touchsmart type home computer, home control and the whole enchilada.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I hope it's something totally awesome, and available on AT&T! haha.

If so I may have a 3G for sale! :eek:

Man, Why 2am!? I gotta go to work in the morning!

UFGator

Jul 17, 2007
sounds kind of like the Storm, no?
Maybe, but is the web browsing on the Storm any good? I left BB for Apple when the iPhone came out because I hated the web interface on the BB. Also, are there any applications avail for the BB like there are for the iPhone?

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
Maybe, but is the web browsing on the Storm any good? I left BB for Apple when the iPhone came out because I hated the web interface on the BB. Also, are there any applications avail for the BB like there are for the iPhone?
the iPhone's browser is far superior than the Storm, however the Storms is efficient enough, for me at least.