What's running on my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ICON502, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

I've been having battery problems. I let the battery run completely down the other day then did a full charge. I unplugged it and went to bed. The next day I checked it and got this. It says that I have 16 hours of usage? I've closed out all of the apps and even did a hard reset. My phone has never had this problem. I've been running iOS 5 since it was released.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

This is after the hard reset.

Attached Files:

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There's an app called AppSwitch that lets you see every process running on your iPhone. Some you'll recognize, like "Clock". Others have names like "wifid" which you can in many cases identify by searching on Google. In this case I'd recommend searching for these keywords: "wifid iOS process". I can't remember if the app was free or $0.99, and when I go to the App Store it tells me "Installed" where the price or "Free" would normally be. It also logs console events so it's helpful for tracking down apps which may cause undesirable behaviors.

My Usage Time and Standby Time are equal, like yours, but my battery performance is just fine.

Sent from your momma.

4. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply. Ill check into that. Its weird cause my usage and standby have never been the same. Im kinda thinking about just restoring my phone and setting it up as a new phone but I don't wanna lose all my data and game progress. Im definitely going to look into the app you suggested. I actually might even have a app like that in my iTunes library. I think this may be why Ive been having poor battery performance.

5. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

I finally figured out what was draining my battery so fast and my usage and standby time is no longer equal. I'm now getting much better battery performance :)

Attached Files:

6. jpepping

jpepping New Member

So what was draining your battery?

7. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

mine did that and I took it to the Apple Store. They did a diagnostic test and said it was a hardware issue and swapped out my phone. The Genius Bar said it should not have the same numbers on both.....so I would get it swapped.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Please share! My numbers are still identical for both, yet, my battery is behaving just fine! I wonder if I would get even better performance if I could fix this standby time issue.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

9. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

i think you need to call Apple... (get it exchanged especially if hardware issue)

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just saw the solution you posted elsewhere! I'm gonna give it a shot! Thx!

11. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

Where did you find his solution?

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1298487&bat=

I have tried his solution and my usage/standby times are still identical [UPDATE: working fine now, see post below]. I tried an alternate solution posted by someone else and still no luck. Perhaps things will change after a full drain and full charge. Someone else posted that they took their phone to a Genius and the Genius said he couldn't swap the phone out until he performed a DFU reset and waited to see if this helped. The user claimed that so far it had.

13. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

Sorry I thought I posted the fix for me on here but I forgot to press send lol.

Since I have multiple email accounts they was allllll set to fetch. I had fetch new data and push set to off but when I went to advanced settings I noticed that each email account was set to fetch. I switched them all to manual and bingo. Strange I know but now my usage an standby time is no longer equal. I figured since I had fetch new data and push set to off I would be fine. Just make sure to go into advanced and check to see if fetch or manual is selected. So far it's been a big difference for me :)

If anyone is having poor battery performance I would suggest looking into this. Hope this helps!

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

My numbers are fixed as of right now: Either Icon502's fix did it, or the alternate fix I tried did. The alternate fix was this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117340

As soon as I turned Cellular Data to on as suggested in this fix, I in fact received an MMS, that was "stuck" since January 1st. If this fix works as advertised, I assume I can turn cellular data back to off if I notice my cellular data approaching my limit before my billing cycle, and things will continue working fine as long as I don't receive an MMS.

Thanks for the info, Icon502!

ImageUploadedByiCafe1325609396.985836.jpg

15. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

No problem! Just glad I could help out! Hope you get better battery performance!

Another thing I forgot to mention is the only thing I'm backing up to iCloud is calendar. I went into setting and also switched that to manual instead of fetch.

16. kimo

kimo Member
    Bronze

Keep in mind, do not use this as gauge on how you battery is doing because it does not reflect that. The time on standby and usage is how long you have had either been using or not using your phone since the last full charge (when it resets) just a time reference. Use the battery level percentage at the top and how often you need to recharge to gauge how you battery is doing.

17. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

its sad that we have to turn all these notifications off to save battery... isn't that why we have an iPhone? so we can use all these sweet features? Hopefully it will be fixed soon. I did not have this problem with the 4 and before the upgrade.

:)

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There do seem to be downsides to iPhone/iOS ownership. We seem to have to compromise to get the best battery life possible. I think that the beauty of the handset and the OS still make it the best available phone. I certainly hope Apple irons out the bugs pretty soon. If we are happy with every single aspect of the iPhone, then Apple's market domination will only come that much easier.

19. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

i am much happier than when i had my BlackBerry or Droid......... :)