What's so smart about the iPhone?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Let me begin by saying that I adore my iPhone. It's the best most indespensable gadget I've ever owned. But I do have a comment/question...

Not to denegrate Apple's accompishment with the iPhone, but is it really a smartphone? What differentiates the iPhone from say... my w810 (which is a walkman phone, not a smartphone). Music? Internet? Edge? Bluetooth? Video? Google maps? Email? W810's can do all of that. User interface then? The w810 has a beautiful interface! And there are a lot of smartphones with crappy interfaces out there. Maybe it's how WELL the phone does those things! Well, there have been plenty of smartphones before that did everything, but really crappily. So it can't be usability and maturity. So really, what is the difference between my iPhone and my w810? Ah! Java apps! Yes! That MUST be what makes something a smart... phone... Wait a minute... iPhone doesn't support those. The w810 does. Hmm... Oh! But the iPhone does have those "apps" that run on Safari. Hmm... boy, talk about sandboxed. Sandboxed, as far as I know, means that the application has severe limitations and has no access to the hardware. That is definitely true about the Safari apps. So that can't be it either. I'm so confused.

So what exactly makes a device a smartphone?
I did a bit of internet searching about the definition of smartphone and there has already been some discussion. While it's difficult to narrow it down to a dictionary type definition, the consensus seems to be that for a phone to be smart, it must be computer like (check), have a powerful OS (check), that runs non-sandboxed apps. (Uh. Oh. Thats a big fat X).

So this begs the question: is this really a smartphone? Should we stop calling it a smartphone? Will Apple open the OS up? Or is Apple redefining the term?

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Let me begin by saying that I adore my iPhone. It's the best most indespensable gadget I've ever owned. But I do have a comment/question...

Not to denegrate Apple's accompishment with the iPhone, but is it really a smartphone? What differentiates the iPhone from say... my w810 (which is a walkman phone, not a smartphone). Music? Internet? Edge? Bluetooth? Video? Google maps? Email? W810's can do all of that. User interface then? The w810 has a beautiful interface! And there are a lot of smartphones with crappy interfaces out there. Maybe it's how WELL the phone does those things! Well, there have been plenty of smartphones before that did everything, but really crappily. So it can't be usability and maturity. So really, what is the difference between my iPhone and my w810? Ah! Java apps! Yes! That MUST be what makes something a smart... phone... Wait a minute... iPhone doesn't support those. The w810 does. Hmm... Oh! But the iPhone does have those "apps" that run on Safari. Hmm... boy, talk about sandboxed. Sandboxed, as far as I know, means that the application has severe limitations and has no access to the hardware. That is definitely true about the Safari apps. So that can't be it either. I'm so confused.

So what exactly makes a device a smartphone?
I did a bit of internet searching about the definition of smartphone and there has already been some discussion. While it's difficult to narrow it down to a dictionary type definition, the consensus seems to be that for a phone to be smart, it must be computer like (check), have a powerful OS (check), that runs non-sandboxed apps. (Uh. Oh. Thats a big fat X).

So this begs the question: is this really a smartphone? Should we stop calling it a smartphone? Will Apple open the OS up? Or is Apple redefining the term?

You can still be smart and not be able to do a lot of things others cannot. Think of Mr. Hawking or the blind guy that won on Jeopardy. I for one do not think the iPhone is very smart until I can use the speaker phone function.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
I can call an Apple an orange, but it's still an Apple. Of course Steve wants to call it a smart phone. As opposed to a stupid phone? A blackberry is a smart phone. The iPhone is a great phone but until it gets much beefier businesss capabilities, it's not a smart phone like the Blackberry, Q, or Treo. Smart phones are annoying to use anyway and are terrible at non-businesss functions that the iPhone excels at. "Smart phone" denotes utility.

Powerhouse

Jul 6, 2007
Here are a few SMART things other phones don't do...

1. When you bring the phone up to your ear to answer a call, the screen shuts off (from the proximity sensor at the top of the phone). Course some people like the glow on their face at night from using other phones.

2. The keyboard interface learns from your typing, increasing the area around the keys as you type if needed.

I'm sure there are more, these are just one's that I know of.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
The interface is revolutionary. I have never used a phone that is so intuitive.