What's sucking the data?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bballrob, Jun 2, 2015.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I co-worker of mine came to me today with her brand new iPhone 6. She just acquired it yesterday afternoon. When she got it, the AT&T rep looked at her data usage and set her up on the 1 GB per month plan. I'm not sure what her prior usage was.

Anyhow, this morning, she came to my office and said, "What's this?" and showed me she had received a text from AT&T telling her she had used 75% of her data already and she's not sure how. She doesn't stream movies, music, and hasn't even been on Safari with it.

Is there a way to see what apps have been sucking her data?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

She shouldn't have used 75% of it already in one day. My mother uses a good amount of data but never close to 1GB in a day unless she's not on WiFi at all the whole time. I used 3GB one weekend when I wasn't able to be on WiFi, but that's because I was streaming a football game etc.

She can see what amounts of data apps are using by going into settings-cellular.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is she sharing data with a family member? What phone did she have prior to this? You'll also need to check it and some of that usage would have been on it. She likely has a low average and then wasn't using WiFi as much these past few weeks. The rep just checked her past few months and didn't notice this current one. You can check the cellular screen breakdown and her app battery usage screen on the iPhone. That will give you an idea if it was anything from yesterday. Just be sure to tell her to make sure she is on WiFi when it's available and that it's imperative that she isn't streaming videos on 4G/LTE if she wants to keep her usage down. Even Facebook and YouTube videos count.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

OK, we got it straightened out. She hadn't been logging into WiFi in places where her old phone normally just automatically logged in to WiFi, so I told her that placed like home and other places she frequents, she needs to re-login to those WiFi places manually so that it will remember her when she logs in in the future.

Now, here's a funny thing I meant to put on the original post but forgot to. Last night when I was in the AT&T store porting my son-in-law's phone to my line, this same co-worker of mine happened to come in due to another issue she was having. She wanted to know how to turn her phone off and back on. "There's no button on the top," she told the customer service person. They showed her where it had been re-located to on her new phone. I had intended to come to work today and put a bunch of stickies on her monitor, adding machine, telephone, etc. with an Arrow pointing out where the various power buttons were, but I forgot to do it when I got here. Woulda been funny.