What's the big deal about NFC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VOLS34, Nov 25, 2012.

1. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

You see the commercials about bumping phones to send playlists, videos, or whatever but they have to touch the screen. What makes it so much better than a text or email? I mean can you bump phones & send people music they didn't even buy?

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Mood you notice they even say in the commercials that they can send playlists not actual music.

It's like bump for the iPhone.
    It's a novelty.

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I use the stream feature it's as good or better for pictures
    I started a stream just for my iPad since I only want certain pics on there specially for the frame feature
    I am not into sharing with strangers
    I got my family we run all under my Apple ID we share it all

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

I feel its just a gimmick. I played with the Bump app but got tired of it quickly.

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I use bump often. Specifically for things you can't get anymore. Like process killer.

6. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

A valuable tool to some. ;)
    Guess I dident see the value. Enjoy.

7. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

yes i guess you can say nfc is gimmick just like 4glte,drop down notifier,panorama pic,360 pic etc.. but i will say that wifi direct is no gimmick, that thing is the bomb if you got big files you wanna share, the thing is lighting fast. and even tho my device is not rooted i would imagine once your rooted skies the limit for sharing i do believe you can share anything even songs and apps once your rooted.

8. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

What's the big deal with NFC? Right now, not so much. But in 6 months or a year it could be HUGE. I believe NFC will be a revolution in how we use mobile phones and even tablets. There is some über-cool stuff for NFC in the pipeline. It's not ready yet, but soon it will be everywhere.

Imagine having your subway pass in your phone electronically and linked to NFC. You just walk onto the subway like it's a free ride while your account is debited through the mobile phone in your pocket. No fuss, no muss. It will be like EZ-Pass on the highway. And that's only one of a couple dozen uses that become a reality. Many many more will follow.

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

finally someone who see's it as something to use on a daily basis and some gimmick.

10. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's just not used yet just promoted in every galaxy commercial for the future. What is passbook suppose to be used for?

11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

there is a big difference passbook is an app/software and nfc is hardware. you don't need no apps to run nfc. either your phone is born with it or it's.

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So you use NFC?

13. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

yes i do use. also some store fronts are now placing nfc tags right outside there door. so you can read them with your phone. some of the info they put on the nfc chips are. daily specials,promos,store hours,phone number and there location which takes you striaght to google maps so you can share there in and location with your friends

14. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

So you have to be at the store to get this? It's not offered via app or web? No more weekly ad papers?

15. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

don't know if the ads you get from the nfc tag are still offered by the vendors website. but i would think so. but sometimes folks just go to eat at certain place on the fly without really thinking about it. they just grab something at the nearest food joint. and if you got a phone that can read nfc tags. and there is a nfc tag on your way into the place well it only makes sense to scan the tag so you get up to date specials.

16. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

You'll still get store apps and web interfaces, plus weekly ad papers. NFC is going to be something EXTRA for you as you walk into the store. Hold your NFC-enabled phone up to a sign at the front door and you instantly get coupons, a store map, daily specials, whatever the store wants to give you.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Funny, maybe when Apple decides to steal this and rebrand it with a silly name people will be singing a different tune LMAO

18. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

Ummmm..... No, I don't use most of the gimmicky stuff on my phone. I like simple.

If you choose to live your life around a "phones function" have at it.

It's still a gimmick IMO.

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Can't it be said though that what others consider a necessary phone feature is what you would consider gimmicky. Vice versa.

20. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Meh...I played with it on my N7 and got tired of it after a few weeks. A lot of security issues with NFC at the moment. It's a nice addition but merchants will still display discounts and coupons on their store fronts. Hard to imaging any merchant to narrow down potential customers who only have NFC devices. Keep in mind not all devices that have NFC hardware are functional. The majority of them are carrier controlled. My Skyrocket has the NFC hardware but AT&T never activated. They may enable it when they jump on the ISIS bandwagon but that may take a while and I may have a new Android phone by then.