What is the big deal about twitter
Its not inovative
and its not great
and it is just not a big deal
so why is it a big deal?

Ron Jeremy

Bronze
Jun 7, 2009
i would have to agree, not much of a fan of it. seems like a popularity contest in some regards.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It's a great way to network with people you may have otherwise never have a chance to interact with. I follow United Airlines and they offer "twares" constantly that offer really great savings to followers. To each his own I suppose.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
its a fad--not innovative, not great, not worthy of anyone's time
they just took something that already exists (blogs, facebook status) and made it smaller and exclusive.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Exclusive in what way?
its exclusive as it you can't do anything else on their site except twitter
i guess thats not the right word to use

they stripped everything else a social networking site can do and left the status

its like if they made a new iPhone that can only make phone calls...whats the point?

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Twitter is a unique experience for each user. for me, i only follow "people" of interest and rarely contribute. when looking at my twitter, you won't find "just brushed my teeth" or "heading out now" comments from friends. you'll find updates on local events, free beer and food offerings, concert schedules, news and weather...
it's also the most immediate way to get information to a large group of people. the band Phish is back on tour and their fans always want to know the setlist of the show that was just played. we used to wait days. with twitter, we're getting realtime updates, song by song, as they're played.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
its exclusive as it you can't do anything else on their site except twitter
i guess thats not the right word to use

they stripped everything else a social networking site can do and left the status

its like if they made a new iPhone that can only make phone calls...whats the point?
that's the point! i hate social networking sites because of all the garbage that's on there. twitter makes use of the only real benefit of networking - sharing information.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana

Millions of people network on twitter. Alot of celebrities use twitter to give their fans a little extra. The list of celebrities that post to twitter with their own device is growing, even though some still probably hire someone else to do it for them. Seeing pictures that celebrities post to twitter from their homes, and while they are out and about is exciting for some. Some companies are finding it easier to use twitter to let people know they are hiring. These comapnies know that the people who are on twitter are more likely to keep up with the screaming rate of new tech.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm with you Tom. I tried for a while, and I didn't get it. Part of that is probably I'm already a member of Facebook, so to me, it kind of seems like a stripped down version of that. I joined Facebook because MySpace is nothing but junk and terribly designed profiles - I like the simplistic look of Facebook, and the fact that it doesn't have to be all that complicated.

And even with Facebook, I don't really update my status that often - I go along with the thought that I don't really need to know what people are doing every minute of their day, and they don't need to know what I'm doing in mine.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It's simple, it's easy to find people with whom you have things common, it's easy to control what you see and who will see it, it's a good way to learn stuff from the links others post, it doesn't clutter up your screen with ads or a bunch of Virtual Shiny Things, and the apps for it work great on the iPhone.

H

Hayesimus

twitter is hardly a fad. It may grow into something else entirely though. People thought texting was a fad. And people say that multimedia messaging is a fad... I think if people like using it now they will continue to do so. At least until the next fad. :p

I use twitter because its fun to check up on your friends while you and they are out and about. People are very busy. Much busier than a generation ago. Its the world we live in now. I also use Facebook for the same reason. Twitter is just simpler for people i don't really know or what to get that close to. Like celebrities or even people from an online iPhone forum perhaps? I mean its the best way to get to know someone that you haven't even met in person. lol And its harmless if you do it right.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I agree with Hayes. :eek:

I follow sports players, news, friends. It's a custom built feed of news, entertainment, etc. I always enjoy when people say how much it sucks and blah, blah, blah, and yet have no idea what it is.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
I guess my life is just so awesome that i do not feel the need to "follow" others
i can care less what a anyone else is doing
ex. Lindsay Lohan @ sniffing coke
Angeling Jolie @ adopting babies
But hey im a natural born leader what can i say
LIFE IS TO SHORT PEOPLE
(*continues to waste away minutes posting on this forum*)

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I guess my life is just so awesome that i do not feel the need to "follow" others
Then you should join so we can all follow you...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Then you should join so we can all follow you...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
I already am, but my last name is on there and i have to many over zealus fans that would use that to their advantage and track me down and steal my virginity '

iCafe @ Hiding From HAYES!

H

Hayesimus

I already am, but my last name is on there and i have to many over zealus fans that would use that to their advantage and track me down and steal my virginity '

iCafe @ Hiding From HAYES!
Please, I'll just follow the trail of breadcrumbs leading into the closet...

Gay joke you ask? You decide...

H

Hayesimus

i can care less what a anyone else is doing
ex. Lindsay Lohan @ sniffing coke
Angeling Jolie @ adopting babies
LIFE IS TO SHORT PEOPLE
(*continues to waste away minutes posting on this forum*)
actually, i think you meant to say you cannot care less. If you could care less, that means you care more than someone that doesn't care at all. If you could not care less, then that means you are already at the lowest caring percentile...