What's the deal with 3G ?

MJFinelli

Sep 22, 2007
My buddy told me not to buy an iPhone until the new 3g iPhone comes out. I was looking on this site and some say it wont make a diffrents in the states.

I live in Miami and my buddy dosent get service at all where he lives. With the 3g iPhone if they ever come out with it, will he get better service?

whats eles will it do more then the one out now?
Also does anyone know any dates it might be out?
Should i wait?

Todays date is Feb 12, 08

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
it will be faster and faster hopefully it will have mms and all that. Service would also be fine in Miami

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
My buddy told me not to buy an iPhone until the new 3g iPhone comes out. I was looking on this site and some say it wont make a diffrents in the states.

I live in Miami and my buddy dosent get service at all where he lives. With the 3g iPhone if they ever come out with it, will he get better service?

Should i wait?

You will probably be waiting for a while, they just upgraded the memory to 16gb, and Jobs stated late in the year. I mean we could always get a surprise and have it come out next month, but I would be betting somewhere late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter in time for the holidays.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I mean we could always get a surprise and have it come out next month, but I would be betting somewhere late 3rd quarter or early 4th quarter in time for the holidays.
There is another rumor that V2 could be announced this year sometime, but not come out until early next year. I believe I saw this on iPhone alley.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

Should i wait?

Just because a 3g iPhone is released doesn't mean 3g service will get better overnight. If I were in your shoes I would not wait. You can always sell the phone if you want the newer one when it comes out. In the mean time, you will get to enjoy the phone instead of reading about how much we all enjoy ours.

MJFinelli

Sep 22, 2007
Just because a 3g iPhone is released doesn't mean 3g service will get better overnight. If I were in your shoes I would not wait. You can always sell the phone if you want the newer one when it comes out. In the mean time, you will get to enjoy the phone instead of reading about how much we all enjoy ours.
Ha very funny .. Thanks i might have to go out and get one!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I don't know why these guys are thinking this but I listen to several podcast about tech, macs, iPhone's and they tend to think that the 3g version is coming out whenever the sdk comes out. Where they are getting their info or their assumptions I havn't a clue.

We shall see.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I don't know why these guys are thinking this but I listen to several podcast about tech, macs, iPhone's and they tend to think that the 3g version is coming out whenever the sdk comes out. Where they are getting their info or their assumptions I havn't a clue.

We shall see.
I would be very very surprised to see this. The 16GB just came out. I don't see V2 released that soon after the 16GB release. You remember all the uproar the $200 price cut caused. That would be nothing compared to what you would hear if V2 was released at the end of Feb.:laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I would be very very surprised to see this. The 16GB just came out. I don't see V2 released that soon after the 16GB release. You remember all the uproar the $200 price cut caused. That would be nothing compared to what you would hear if V2 was released at the end of Feb.:laugh2:
OH believe me, i've seen how bad it gets around here and you're right that would make this a nasty place for a few weeks atleast. I still wouldn't put it past'em though, I really wouldn't. And whose to say that would even be V2, maybe it'll just be an iPhone as is with 3g and later in the year maybe see a new model all together. AT&T did just announce expansion of 3g coverage. Have to wonder, ya know?;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
And whose to say that would even be V2, maybe it'll just be an iPhone as is with 3g and later in the year maybe see a new model all together. AT&T did just announce expansion of 3g coverage. Have to wonder, ya know?;)
You may be on to something there. It would be dirty, but I could see something like this happening.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I've been listening to iPhone and mac podcasts for the past week and all of them seem to speculate a 3g phone launch around april or may for some reason. Beats me. Guess we won't know till the day it arrives.

Funny thought I just had though. What if these new 16gb versions are equipped with a 3g chip that can be activated when Apple is ready...hmmm

;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i wouldn't trust those podcasts. If i understand the way releasing cell phones works, Apple must still apply to (or get approved by... can't remember which) the FCA first (which they haven't done yet), and that process alone takes 4+ months.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
i wouldn't trust those podcasts. If i understand the way releasing cell phones works, Apple must still apply to (or get approved by... can't remember which) the FCA first (which they haven't done yet), and that process alone takes 4+ months.
I don't ever trust what anyone says 100% until Apple says something but as one of the guys stated, they could legally put the chip in the phone and activate later once approval has been granted. Maybe they will maybe they won't. Who knows what they will do?;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't ever trust what anyone says 100% until Apple says something but as one of the guys stated, they could legally put the chip in the phone and activate later once approval has been granted. Maybe they will maybe they won't. Who knows what they will do?;)
one reason why they wouldn't do that is because that would cost them more money. why put more expensive hardware into a phone, if they aren't going to charge people for it... let alone be in-use.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
i just watched a video on youtube. sprint 3g vs iPhone edge. iPhone won loading cnn.com A nd the sprint phone was a mobile page, wasn't a full regular webpage.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
did the sprint phone show a strong signal? not to mention a crappy processor willrender pages slow no matter how fast the network is.

3G IS faster... not really debatable.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Yeah true, but not a lot of places have good 3G signal. That would be my worry with the v2 iPhone and its 3g. If it has it i wanna be able to use it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well yeah. obviously it won't benefit you if you're not in a 3G area... ATT 3G does cover most large cities across the US, though.

Jan 16, 2008
3g coverage is pretty established over here in the UK so it will be interesting to see how the 3g iPhone adoption differs this side of the pond...