What's the difference

Aug 25, 2009
between the iPhone text messaging plan and the regular att ulimited text messaging plan that says " att recommends"?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Besides cost? One thing is the ability to freely use SMS popups from Google for calendar alerts & reminders, for example.
YMMV

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Are you certain? I pay $5 per month for 200 msgs. Unlimited costs $20 a month. Besides, the 3 plans listed all include "iPhone Text Messaging" in their names.

Again, YMMV

Aug 25, 2009
i mean for unlimited texts. there is an unlimited one for iPhone and theres a regular unlimited one that att recommends. i was wondering what the differences in features were if there were any.

and whats ymmv?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
i mean for inlimited texts. there is an unlimited one for iPhone and theres a regular unlimited one that att recommends. i was wondering what the differences in features were if there were any.

and whats ymmv?
Before the iPhone, I had a Motorola phone on AT&T with the 200 per month plan. When I got my iPhone, only the name changed. If you really think there's a difference, contact AT&T.

Y(our) M(ilage) M(ay) V(ary)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
When the iPhone came out AT&T created the iPhone messaging plans that mirrored the prices and text amounts of the original plans for all other phones. The difference between 'iPhone messaging amount' and 'Messaging amount' is that the iPhone one currently blocks mms messages and is supposed to be set up to send you a link with login information when you get there to view the mms message. The iPhone one currently does not include mms and if you were able to get mms working on your iPhone you would be charged $0.30 per mms. When AT&T makes mms available to the iPhone 3G and 3GS they will include mms in the price of messaging plans like any other phone. It doesn't matter which of the plans you are on since they will work no matter what.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
... When AT&T makes mms available to the iPhone 3G and 3GS they will include mms in the price of messaging plans like any other phone. It doesn't matter which of the plans you are on since they will work no matter what.
Thanks. I had forgotten about MMS.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
The iPhone one currently does not include mms and if you were able to get mms working on your iPhone you would be charged $0.30 per mms.
I'm going to say I've never seen this actually charged to anyone, nor heard of it happening to an iPhone user. MMS charges are incurred when there isn't an internet plan set up already though.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Thanks. I had forgotten about MMS.
No problem :eek:k:eek:k Other than that there is absolutely no difference.
I'm going to say I've never seen this actually charged to anyone, nor heard of it happening to an iPhone user. MMS charges are incurred when there isn't an internet plan set up already though.
There were people who got charged when they were on the iPhone messaging plan. I can't remember who they all were but I know for a fact Watcher was one who got charged $0.30 per mms while on the iPhone messaging plan. The iPhone ones in no way include mms even with a data plan, that was the way it was sent up since day 1 because AT&T was under the impression there would never be mms. So why have any way to include it. And I wonder if they eventually set it up to charge you because of jailbreaking (ex: swirlymms)

Aug 25, 2009
ok. i have the 5.1 carier update which comes with specific settings for the mms. i went and swapped my sim to a razr phone , changed my phone online , kept the iPhone data plan but changed the text plan from iPhone to the att unlimited text plan and it still can send mms. that is why i swithed it and i wanted to make sure i wast blocking myself out of some feature that the iPhone plan had that the unlimited plan didn't.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
There were people who got charged when they were on the iPhone messaging plan. I can't remember who they all were but I know for a fact Watcher was one who got charged $0.30 per mms while on the iPhone messaging plan. The iPhone ones in no way include mms even with a data plan, that was the way it was sent up since day 1 because AT&T was under the impression there would never be mms. So why have any way to include it. And I wonder if they eventually set it up to charge you because of jailbreaking (ex: swirlymms)
Thanks for the clarification...so this was in the beginning? I say beginning because there are people that have been using the ipcc hack and haven't been charged anything for mms...

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Thanks for the clarification...so this was in the beginning? I say beginning because there are people that have been using the ipcc hack and haven't been charged anything for mms...
Yeah way back in one of the 3.0 betas. That is one of the main reasons that changing to a non-iphone messaging plan is part of the instructions to get it working. Yes it helps not having the iPhone one cause it would automatically register with them as an iPhone, and that might be why we don't hear about it. Although Watcher and others got it working on the iPhone plan, they just got charged until they switched. Or the family messaging one which includes mms it just has a code built in to block mms (and send the vmm.com text) when an iPhone registers with the tower, but there is nothing in place to charge you since it isn't an iPhone only plan. On the 3.0 betas I sent anywhere from 80-120 mms messages a month on the family plan and never got charged extra since they are included.

Here is Watcher's warning after he realized he got charged
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/at-t-mms-is-now-working.39672/

Last edited by a moderator:

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Besides cost? One thing is the ability to freely use SMS popups from Google for calendar alerts & reminders, for example.
YMMV
can you elaborate on this? ive never heard of it.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
can you elaborate on this? ive never heard of it.
If you have a Google email account, you can create a calendar for future events with reminders and alerts. After you verify your iPhone's number with calendar, added to the regular pop-up & email alerts, you can then choose an SMS alert which comes to your phone as a text message. While the pop-up alert only presents a message on the home screen, the SMS text reminder sounds a tone like a regular text. Of course, as a text, it counts against your monthly total.

HTH