What's the function of the dock?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ron ll

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Does the iPhone dock serve any purpose other than a stand for the iPhone? I've heard that there may be a difference in the "line out" electronics, anything else? I don't think there is any difference in charging or syncing is there?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
For one thing, you can use regular headphones or 3.5mm cable for audio out, unlike the specialized line out port on the phone itself.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Yeah. Besides being a "display stand" that charges/syncs, it really doesn't do anything else.

Having owned an iPod Video where you have to use the cable, I like the dock much more. It just looks better.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
i get horrible reception at my house.

with the phone plugged into the dock, the dock cable and my 2 23" Apple displays act like a gigantic antennae. i get 5 bars plugged into the dock!

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
i get horrible reception at my house.

with the phone plugged into the dock, the dock cable and my 2 23" Apple displays act like a gigantic antennae. i get 5 bars plugged into the dock!
Awesome! I haven't even looked at my signal while docked at home. I will have to try that.

I have two docks, one @ home and one @ work. I work downtown so I always have full signal, but I live in a rural area where I sometimes struggle with a signal. I'll have to check that out tonight!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
How have you synced yours? Did you just use like the cable from an iPod Video?
You know the cable detaches from the dock. In fact, the cable doesn't even come attached to the dock out of box. I too do not use the dock - but not because I don't like it. The case I currently use makes the iPhone too thick to fit.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
You know, I don't even remember if mine came attached or not. Now that I think about it... you are right. That is why Apple sells dock "adapters" for different types of iPods and such.

Well, anyways, I like my dock.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
I ordered an extra dock from Apple.com so I could have one at home and work and even the one I purchased separately came with the cable un-attached.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It doesn't come attached, and the cable connects right to the phone. Also easy to only take the cable with you and not the dock.