What's the problem with it? Was it worth making the 5c?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by Prozium12, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

#3 liberated, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We will never know how many 5's [fives] they would have sold between the announcement of the 5s/5c and now, but the number would have to be higher than the amount of 5c's that they have actually sold for it to be a mistake to have replaced the 5 with the 5c.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

In my opinion it is reasonable to conclude that while we may never know how many 5's (Five) would have been sold, Apple may have sold many more 5s phones if not for the cannibalizing experienced now with the 5c.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree that a portion of the iPhone 5c sales would have been 5s sales, but a sale is a sale and I don't get why that hurts them. They profit from each and demand is higher than they can keep up with just like any other year.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree but a sale is even a better sale when you get more money with each one. Now, I agree that a 5c sale may have not translated to a 5s sale in all instances had the 5c not been introduced.

8. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I am personally very confused as to why people think The iPhone 5c is a failure

It has to be looked at in the context of being a iPhone 5. Not the new and greatest

I have said before you have to compare it to the sales of the iPhone 4 versus the iPhone 4S

If it's sales are comparable to the iPhone four or more than it is doing as expected. Apple may have hoped that adding colors would increase sales but that would be a somewhat shortsighted thought process my humble opinion

I think making the change on the iPhone 5c gives it a distinct appearance and actually looks very nice in person

Sent using iCafe app

9. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

One more thought, If Apple actually thought people would go from the iPhone 5c the iPhone 5c that was foolish and stupid

But I believe for people thinking about getting an iPhone 5c added colors gives a distinct individuality to the product

In addition, in my opinion the bezel part of the iPhone 5 and 5s scratch and more way to easily. Despite how elegant it looks the matter how I cover and protected the black one in particular had all kinds of light little scratches that then bared a silver underneath and it looked terrible in my opinion

I'm not sure why they could not of made that a little more durable

Sent using iCafe app

10. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

So will the iPhone 5s become the iPhone c d or whatever they call it next September when the iPhone 6 is released..

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's possible that next year they will stop production of the 5s and make a plastic version of it. Who knows what they will call it, though. Maybe 5sc? The naming scheme is so screwed up now that it's meaningless as far as generations go. The iPhone 4 was named for its generation, but then everything else that was named after it followed it rather than generation models. The iPhone 5s is actually the iPhone 7, so the next phone should be called the iPhone 8 but it will likely be the iPhone 6, which was actually the iPhone 5.

12. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Wow it's hard to keep up but I'm really looking forward to the next iPhone as I've stuck with my iPhone 5 32gb in black this time and it's been hard to do but I'm happy I have as I will be up with my auto upgrade next year,I've been and had play with the 5s and nearly bought one but with ios7 on my 5 I'm ok I think! For now anyway..

Sent using iCafe app

13. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Maybe they'll just call it the new iPhone...you know like the new iPad.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I doubt it, but it would be nice. At first it will lead to some confusion, but then everyone will get on track. If they do it, it will soon be referred to as the iPhone 8 since they will list it as the 8th generation iPhone on their website. They called the iPad the "new iPad"(4th generation), but everyone refers to it as the iPad 4.

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

In other words, there's nothing to complain about with the 5S this year, so let's over-scrutinize the 5C instead.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#16 Napoleon PhoneApart, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard quite a few complaints about the lack of a bigger screen size in the 5s. I'm not sure why anyone expected the 5c to sell as well as the 5s. I'm sure Apple didn't. It has outdated specs and isn't marketed to their existing customers that upgrade every 1-2 years.

18. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

19. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

You're right, as always. However I was attempting humor.

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

20. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1382233669.169050.jpg

What do you think about this? It's the first I've seen of it. They had other colors priced at $145. There were a couple on Verizon priced this low.

Target

Sent using iCafe app on iPad 2