What's the problem with it? Was it worth making the 5c?

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I think the iPhone 5c was a great move for Apple. It continues the excellent iPhone 5 (as they would have done anyway) but inside a colorful and more durable plastic case. The iPhone 5 had a high cost to manufacture. I think the only mistake Apple made with the 5c was to not offer it with a black body, or another more subdued color. If they did that, I think it would sell even more.

As a dad, I would much rather buy the 5c for the kids rather than the 5s.

When my contract expires next May I'll wait until next fall, in the hope that there will be an updated 5c phone with the 5s internals, to get the improved camera and Touch ID, as well as that 64 bit processor.

-rb

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
It seems to me that the 5c was a solution in search of a problem. Apple didn't price it aggressively enough if they were serious about taking market share in the mid-range or low-end markets. Making a model iPhone just *slightly* more affordable than the flagship 5s indicates to me that Apple had lost touch with their customer base.

Sent using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It seems to me that the 5c was a solution in search of a problem. Apple didn't price it aggressively enough if they were serious about taking market share in the mid-range or low-end markets. Making a model iPhone just *slightly* more affordable than the flagship 5s indicates to me that Apple had lost touch with their customer base.

Sent using iCafe app
Let's wait to judge until the holiday season.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Half the price ($99) is too expensive?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Yesterday I saw two iPhone 5c's in the wild! One lady on the train platform had a pink one that she was holding and gesturing wildly with while on a call and boarding the train. It looked like it could fly out of her hand with the next wild wrist flip. What?! Could you stop flipping your iPhone 5c around like it owes you money lady?! I pray that her Pink iPhone 5c lives a good scuff free/cracked body free life. Chances are it may not. SMH

Upon boarding the train and sitting down I spotted another lady, who was already on the train, with yet another Pink iPhone 5c! When I realized what it was she had, OMG! I was delighted like it were my very own iPhone. WOW! Two iPhone 5c's spotted on a Monday morning within minutes of each other! It looked soo cute! She had no case on it and was enthralled in whatever app she was using. She took a moment to look up and saw me staring at her. I smiled and gave her the thumbs up. She grinned like a child with a dripping icecream cone and she said "I love it!" I told her "I know you do. Congrats." I have faith that this second lady will take good care of her cute iPhone 5c. She actually loves it. The other lady will probably end up flinging it out of her hand and it will meet the businesss end of the sidewalk or street and she'll get another one to do the same thing to. Some people are just so careless.

Anyway, that was my iPhone 5c spotting! Have any of you seen the iPhone 5c in the wild being used during your travels? I guess it's not such a big deal. We should be seeing a lot of them soon.
I'm thinking after Christmas we'll be seeing a lot of them all over the place. It is such a nice iPhone I think it'll be popular as gifts.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
In my opinion the 5c was created to distinguish between the 5 and the 5s. This way the 5s is able to have its own entity. This is the way Apple will handle the s versions from now on. Next year when the 6 comes out the 5s might become the 5sc and so on. This way they'll create the illusion that you are not just buying last year's model.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 2, 2013
Surely its primary purpose was to provide to an alternative market a new, innovative product. Possibly teens or rich children particularly considering the larish colors, although I know numerous adults who also think it's their 'thing'.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I saw a lady at work have a pink iPhone 5C. I also picked up a used white one for $250 from eBay to use as a backup to my 5S. Also it will give me flexibility when I sell my 5S when the 6 comes out.

Sent using iCafe app and a gold iPhone 5s.

Chancellor

Contributor
Bronze
May 28, 2011
Personally I think it's far more comfortable to hold, but I use a case so I bought the 5s

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
In light of recent news the answer to the question by the OP regarding whether making the 5c was worth it, the answer in my opinion is no.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I just read this article about Apple's plans to discontinue the 5c. After one generation of the product, scrapping it means it did not meet Apple's expectations. Personally I do not like the phone for me but my opinion is based on Apple's plans for the phone.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-two-larger-iphones-this-year-scrap-iphone-5c
Rumor or not, it makes sense if 2 new larger size iPhones are introduced. They would then have the 5s and the 2 larger versions of the iPhone 6.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Rumor or not, it makes sense if 2 new larger size iPhones are introduced. They would then have the 5s and the 2 larger versions of the iPhone 6.
Regardless, canceling the 5c after just one year would be a failure. Do you think they just decided to go big? Surely they have been considering this for sometime and still decided to gamble with the 5c.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Regardless, canceling the 5c after just one year would be a failure. Do you think they just decided to go big? Surely they have been considering this for sometime and still decided to gamble with the 5c.
I don't think the 5 is considered a failure and it was cancelled after a year. Why continue selling a product that has two-year-old specs when they can sell one with the previous I year's specs? I think the new 5c model (whatever it's called) will have 5s specs.